• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Quiet Board

Started by chetbrz, August 01, 2015, 08:42:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chetbrz

Everything must be working fine.  For me the cover is still on the 29.  I have been too busy since our move to work on the old car.  Actually only had the 48 out a couple of times this summer.  Picked up a boat last summer and it has added to my maintenance project list.  Still haven't been out fishing yet just learning the waters.  Well the good news is my younger daughter and her boy friend came for a visit so we are going out on the boat this afternoon.  Too hot a day for the old cars.  Really like the fall weather for a long drive.

Well that's my story, I hope this finds everyone well.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

frankp

Chet,

You do have many activities to keep you occupied.  I'm sure there is some pleasure in each.

Well, I'm about to find out how well my buggy runs today.  Attending a small local show about 10 miles away.  Taking the gas can and not being as  confident/cocky as last August!  Thought all the crud in the gas tank had been removed, but no.

Hope everyone is finding a little enjoyment this summer.

frank
frank p

racertb

Frank, did you make it there and back ok? 😀

frankp

Ted,

Well the trip over in the morning was uneventful.  Just have to spend more time on the road.

About 275 cars, mostly 60's muscle and street rods.  The Hurst Olds was very nice.  One man had 2 '57 Fairlane 500s: 2dr (no post) Hardtop and a Convertible Hardtop both in a baby blue and white; and a baby blue '57 T-Bird.  Obviously he is proud '57 Ford owner.  However, there was a beautiful '28 Pontiac 4dr Sedan and an equally gorgeous '29 Dodge 4dr Sedan.  Also 2 very nice Model A Coupes.

Return trips are my nemesis.  Started fine and ran well for the first 7 miles and then began sputtering and losing power at 30 mph.  Popped the hood, checked the air/fuel mixture screw and it was ok.  Nothing readily apparent.  Drove home and it "seemed" better.  Parked in the drive to let cool before parking in garage.  Started right away, but sounds like only 3 cylinders at best, regardless of rpm.  Have to investigate further.  Maybe it doesn't like it hot?!  On the plus side, no gas leak from the Kingston or carb, and no radiator leak.  See what happens with the rad when it cools.

All in all a very good time.    frank
frank p

racertb

Glad you made it back!  Is it a fuel delivery issue?  Vapor lock?  Is it hitting on all four cylinders now?

chetbrz

Hi Frank,

Sounds like you had a good time on you test run and at the show.  BTW, anytime you can get home on your own power is a good drive.  The 28 Pontiac and the 29 Dodge sound very interesting, Any pictures?  Hopefully as far as your car is concerned the issue is only a fouled plug.  If you had a lot of contamination in your fuel system you might still have a little residual contamination so hopefully once the gas filter is changed the performance improves.  That begs the question do you filter the gas from the tank to the carb?

The wife and I have been enjoying the summer, I wasn't complaining.  But.., it truly amazes me how much we did in the past while working 40/50 hours per week.  It seems that we still can't catch up but maybe expectations are two high or maybe we are working at a slower pace.  Either way things are going just fine.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

frankp

Started just a bit ago and running just fine at all rpm.  Maybe it doesn't like to be warm.  It was only 85 Saturday afternoon and the radiator felt relatively cool 1/3 from bottom as I believe it should.  (1/2 water 1/2 ethylene glycol)  I must take for longer drive and try to duplicate problem and then see what I can discover.

Chet, about that filter - there is none except the wire screen in the strainer cap of the carburetor.  No sediment bowl either.  This tank has a right angle shut-off vale screwed to bottom of tank.  This would have to go to install a bowl I have, but should see what's available.  Wondering if a filter could be rigged between fuel line and vacuum tank?  Problem might be not enough vacuum to get past filter?  Dave has been telling me to drain and flush gas tank since last summer.  He's right, of course, but the drain plug will not budge and haven't attempted to remove fuel line.

Unfortunately no pictures.  Everyone knows about best intentions, that's what happened to my camera.  Next time I'll have to put it in front of the door so I will kick it when I try to leave!  When working, I used written plans every day.  Obviously need to return to that practice.  Since retiring, I have intentionally slowed my pace.  I don't wear a watch anymore.

Thanks for the interest and suggestions.     frank
frank p

chetbrz

LOL, I have the same problem with the camera.  Now I have an iPhone so I have no more excuses except for when I leave the phone home.