• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Wheel rim wrench

Started by hursst, February 18, 2015, 06:24:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hursst

Hello.  In the 1930 owner's manuals, it mentions under the tools section that a Wheel Rim Wrench is included.  Does anyone have a photo of what this looks like?  I'm still trying to put together a complete collection of tools.  Thanks for any assistance.

kimmc

Hello Hursst.  The wheel rim wrench is also referred to as a rim jack.  Go back to pg. 21 (I think) of the General Discussion section; look for subject "tool kits" started by 1930 with the last post date of July 30, 2010.  There are a couple pages of discussion.  I posted the instructions for an Acme Rim Jack and a picture of mine while I was removing a rim from the wheel.  If you have trouble or need more info, let me know.  I will keep checking here.  Kim Mc

hursst

kimmc,
   Interesting.  I thought it would be more like a lug wrench, as a lug wrench isn't listed in the tool list (I have a late-production car that was built during the 4th edition of the 1930 owner's manual, so tools are slightly different.  By that point, some of the tools were not included, such as the hub wrench, grease gun, and tire pump). 

I have wire wheels on my car, so I wouldn't have needed this tool, so maybe it didn't come with it to begin with?  I am, however, now confused on which tool, if any, is the lug wrench.  A gentleman on the AACA Plymouth forum showed me some photos of an S-shaped lug wrench from his '31 Dodge and he made an assumption that the wheel rim wrench was related, but that does not appear to be the case.  Thanks for providing the link.

racertb

Is this what you are referring to?

seasand

I bought one off of e-bay. It works well.

rwollman

I made one from a scissor jack - works fine

Doug

I have on of those but my 30U wheels have a lever built in the rim, You can slip a small piece of pipe on and and lever it around and this allows you to remove the tire. Was this something started in 30?

chetbrz

Doug,

My 29 also has these levers.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

29plycoop

My 29 has levers on the rim.
Plymouth and inovation go hand in hand.

frankp

Would someone please post a picture of the "levers?"

Thanks,
frank
frank p

racertb

The lever should be on the rim itself at the split to keep the rim joined together...mine has them too, but I still need the wrench to collapse the rim enough to change tires and tubes.  Still a bear of a job.  I'll try to find a photo.

Doug

I wish I had taken pictures when I was repairing a tire. I just used a short piece of pipe with a slight curve. rolled the lever down had plenty of room to get the tire off and on

kimmc

FrankP; re your request for a picture of the "rim lever" referred to by others.  Go to page 21 of this forum; second item from top of page is a post about "tool kits" started by member 1930.  In that discussion I posted a picture of a rim jack on one of my '29 wheels (April 10, 2010, I think).  Download the picture so you can enlarge it.  Then you can clearly see the "lever" in the disengaged position so the rim jack is able to pull end of the split rim inside the opposite end so that the tire can be removed.  When the lever is engaged, the rim is locked in position by a pin that holds the two ends of the rim together.  The picture will probably be more helpful than my explanation. 

frankp

Thanks, Kimmc.

Now I understand.  I did not understand the term "lever" for what I would name a "latch," as it keeps the split from overlapping.  Or a complete, functioning one does.  If anyone has the post missing - replace it!.  I learned the hard way with an emergency trip to the doctor.  Don't fool around with this one.  I, too, use a Rim Tool.

frank
frank p

Bearings 46

Just saw that Universal  Vintage Tire sells reconditioned rim jacks (they call them Split Rim Jacks) for $80 - limited availability which means send us your money fast!