• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Anybody have experience with the coil ignition switch?

Started by 29plycoop, May 07, 2009, 10:32:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

29plycoop

??? Has anyone tried to take apart the ignition lock, switch and ignition coil on a 1929 Plymouth? I got as far as removing the nickle trim ring and two screws that hold another backing steel plate. The coil looks to be spot welded to the mounting bracket that has the three holes to mount the assembly to the dash.  Could it be??  How would you change the coil?  The lock assembly looks to be crimped in place to the top of the mounting bracket.  There is a small hole (aprox. 1/8 dia.) in the bottom of the mounting bracket. Is it a drain or does it have a purpose for dis-assembly or ?? The idea was to try to change the coil to a N.O.S. one that I have and free-up the ignition switch at the same time.  The pot metal lock assembly is a little tight. BUT maybe I won't. Any experience out there with this assembly?  Happy Motoring!!!! - Rich   ???
Plymouth and inovation go hand in hand.

p4jim

I had my ignition switch and coil rebuilt by I don't remember who but can find out if you like.  Seems to me the whole thing is one assembly.  I do have a spare decal for the face plate for my 30U which you are welcome to.
Happy Roads, jim

29plycoop

Please send the information on who you had rebuild your ignition assembly. I think the face plate is the same as the 30 U so would be interested in the decal also. As near as I can make out the face plate has the word "IGNITION" aprox. 7/8 in. above the hole in the center and 1/4 in. below "IGNITION" is the word "OFF". Then the word "LOCK" aprox, 3/4 in. below the center hole.  I am guessing the word "ON" is on the face plate somewhere. (see photo below for reference)  email me at fishn@centurytel.net for my address and I would be glade to pay for the decal with postage. Thanks for the reply. Happy Motoring!!!! - Rich   

p4jim

Atwater Kent Mfg. Co., phone 506-792-9500, rebuilt my coil and switch.  The coil was bad because I shorted the wire from  the coil to the points.  The switch mechanism was just wore out.

Hppy roads, Jim 

29plycoop

Hi Jim - Thanks for the info on the switch re-builder. Will give them a call. Happy Motoring!!!! - Rich