• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

HELP - BATTERY BOILED

Started by Gary 30U, February 08, 2013, 08:57:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary 30U

I'm not sure what to do. I put my battery charger on my car yesterday, as my battery was low when I tried to start my car.

I set the timer and locked up the shop. But, today I went to the shop and when I opened the door I could smell the battery acid. The timer on the charger didn't functio and the battery was boiling.

HELP. Do I need to do anything special to the upholstrery and or any other items like paint to protect it. The smell of battery acid is terrible and I'm sure the fumes have permiatted everything around.

Any suggestions would be really welcome. Washing with soda, dry clening, anything PLEASE.

Gary R. - Happy Motoring

Tinkeys

Hi Gary !!
Sorry to here that !
Not sure with your situation but if it happened to me I would be washing all thats contaminated as water will dilute acid and sooner the better ( if you can smell it in fabric I would try wet and dry vacum  spraying with a hand spray bottle .
Maybe someone has a better idea ?

frankp

Gary, I too am sorry to hear - that's terrible fortune!

You and Tinkeys are correct - rinse/soak in a lot of water to dilute.  I would add plain baking soda to the water, sodium bicarbonate - a mild base, to help neutralize the sulfuric acid.  This solution can then be thoroughly rinsed.  Never had to use on fabric, but have cleaned battery terminals with it.

Good Luck!
frank
frank p

kimmc

Gary.  Sorry to hear about this....what a bummer.   FrankP was right about using baking soda in the water to neutralize any acid residue.  If I had to do this, I would buy a big box of Arm & Hammer and mix baking soda with water in a Hudson pump sprayer (garden type) and spray down all surfaces repeatedly.  When there is no more fizzing, I would repeat the wash down with clean water.  I am not sure how to address the under-dash wiring and instruments and upholstry; maybe just wipe down with a rag dipped in a mix of baking soda and water.  Sounds like a big chore...if I was nearby i would come help.  Good luck & I hope you will post your final solution. 

SDGlenn

Sure enough sounds terrible.  I keep picturing your car with strips of headliner, ect  just hanging all around you. Hope this turns out ok.  I have never had that problem but I sure feel your pain.  Take care
SD Glenn
SDGlenn

chetbrz

Sorry Gary,

I don't have anything else to add.  Baking Soda is definitely a plus.

Good Luck,  Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Tinkeys

Hi Gary !
Did all turn out well with your battery situation ?

Gary 30U

Luckily it turned out not to be nearly as bad as I thought when I opened up the shop.
Took out the seats and rubber floor mat. Had to dispose of the jute material under the rubber mat. Took out the battery, pulled the car out and washed downt the floor boards and area around the battery box really well. Mixed up a spray of a box of baking soda in a gallon of water and spayed that all over the same area. Didn't get nearly the reaction I expected. Almost none at all. Then rinsed again with a fair spray of water.

New jute and a new battery and we are on the way again. Surprised me, but the battery was 5 1/2 years old. Guess the Battery Tenders really do work.

Hope nothng serious shows up in the future.

Gary R., Happy Motoring

Tinkeys

Hi Gary !
That's very good to here I'm so glad !
May pay to check out affected area over next couple of months to be sure !