• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Running board question

Started by Russ T. Fender, March 26, 2020, 04:37:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Russ T. Fender

I have repro running boards and moulding trim that I bought over 25 years ago and the instructions for attaching the trim disappeared ages ago. Does the inside and outside moulding go under the end pieces or does it butt against the ends?  Also,   how are the end pieces attached to the running board?  The long pieces use clips that fit through slits in the running board but they don't seem to be very secure either.  I'm wondering how the original trim was attached.  Pictures would be great! Thanks.

Articifer Tom

Not mine but should be typical mopar .

Articifer Tom

Russ T. Fender

Thanks, that's what I thought but the pictures confirm it.

frankp

A T shows original configuration.  Reproduction parts instructions I purchased from Missouri company said to cut outside piece to fit between their end trim.  If familiar with wood working, I say the original ends are "coped" to mesh.
frank p

Russ T. Fender

That's what I recall the lost instructions said but I think the ends can be contoured to the outside trim for a cleaner look and it just didn't look right to me that way when I laid the trim out.  Also, I am not very comfortable with the way the clips are supposed to keep the outside trim in place.  Having it under the ends would make it more secure.

frankp

Digging deeper into the archives; I recall the running board had slots on top surface that accepted tabs on the outside trim.  This kept trim tightly secured when the trim bottom was folded over.  Or maybe my memory is off.   frank
frank p

Russ T. Fender

Frank you are right about the slits in the running board to secure the clips but there isn't much material to fold under to secure the trim.  I don't know if that is how the original trim was affixed to the running board.  It would be nice to get a picture of the underside of an original running board to see what it looks like.

frankp

Here is the original side trim piece.  I didn't remember the steel tab section sandwiched in the original trim.  Sorry these are so late in coming.  Also found the Instructions.
frank p

Articifer Tom

Just curious Frank , if you ever get interested in getting rid or those old pieces or trim . I need some bits and pieces to finish some missing areas . Old and crusty is fine , it will blend with rest .  Tom

Russ T. Fender

Thanks for all the input.  I finished the running boards and they turned out nicely.  I wound up butting the long pieces but it still looks good.  There isn't enough material to "cope" the long pieces under the ends.

frankp

Russ T, I'm sure you did an excellent job.

Tom, when I decide to let these go, you'll be first in line.   frank
frank p

Articifer Tom

Frank ; Thanks

Russ ; Here pic of bottom of a rusty piece of running board . It is Stainless Chrysler trim . It is wrong for my truck . You can see attachment piece in trim .

Russ T. Fender

Tom that is very interesting.  That piece is replaced by the clip on the reproduction boards.