• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

30-U coupe cloth roof insert

Started by Russ T. Fender, February 27, 2020, 05:50:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Russ T. Fender

Still looking for picture of the correct trim for the cloth roof insert and information from anyone who has replaced the insert.
I need to replace mine and re wood parts of what is still there.  I believe my insert was replaced at one time and I need to know if it was done correctly or modified.  Thanks.

chetbrz

You could try the POC.  They seem to be more active on Facebook than their forum.  Maybe the AACA forum. If you are a POC member you might try the tech advisor for the 30u.

Sorry if you have already been down these paths just trying to help.
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

ski

I've got a  rubber backed mat covering my top to keep dry in case I have to park outside but here's some pics of the trim on my coupe. It only runs on the back side and transitions into the drip rails. The foward edge of the roof skin appears to just roll under the wood nailer that the visor mounts to, with the edge of the visor acting as trim.  If I were to make some trim from scratch I would find some suitable carpet metal that is used to separate a tile floor from the rug at doorways. If you make some pie cuts every inch or so in the metal carpet strips you can easily bend them into reasonably tight arcs to match the trim line. You may have to screw or nail the carpet edge to a piece of plywood and attach one pie cut at a time and bend as you go. When I was a kid I used to install wall to wall and we did this all the time on custom jobs. Let me know if you need any more pictures.

Russ T. Fender

Thanks for the pictures.  My coupe has a Briggs body and differs from yours in that the insert does not run to the drip rail and instead of slats I have chicken wire stretched across the ribs. In addition there is a clear separation in the front between the visor and the edge of the insert.  I am fast coming to the conclusion that there is no clear answer but based on your pictures I now convinced that what was on the car was a replacement top with non original trim.  Thanks for all the help.

ehenin

Russ T. Fender

Thanks for the lead.  That is the correct insert for my car from the picture.  I will contact them Monday.

Russ T. Fender

Spoke to the owner, Frank Kirkland and he was very helpful.  The top insert he makes is dead on and he was able to answer all my questions.   I think he is a valuable resource for early Plymouths, thanks again for the lead.

ehenin

Photos of 1930 coupe inside roof all taken from the drivers door opening

Russ T. Fender

Thanks for the pictures, that's the way my insert looks.  Do you have a dome light?  My insert frame appears to be set up for one but my car does not have a dome light.  The original owners manual for my car has a wiring diagram that shows a dome light but a footnote says "sedans only".  I keep trying to add a picture but can't seem to do it from my iPad.

Russ T. Fender

I  think I might have figures out how get a picture posted