• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

30U Accelerator Button Linkage - pics?

Started by crelledge, April 21, 2020, 10:50:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crelledge

Hi everyone, new to the forums, been looking around a bit and already have learned a lot.

I have a 1930 Plymouth 30U that is in the process of coming back together after nearly two decades of sitting in pieces. I'm at the stage where I'm trying to get the engine started and running reliably, and one of the things I'm looking at is how to put the accelerator linkage to the carburetor back together. I'm sure I'm missing a number of pieces (I have no springs at all, for one thing) but I'm not sure how it all is supposed to fit together to work properly. Does anyone have any pictures of a complete one that I could work off of in order to improvise something that would come close to factory original? Also, not sure how this will affect things, but I don't believe I have the original carburetor, what came on the car when I got it was a Zenith Model 68 which as I understand was not original.

Articifer Tom

I had a zenith on mine too . It works great . In process of changing out . Pics of both side of engine needed to see what you have . Spring on my 4 cly is on opposite side of engine of carb .

Articifer Tom

Zenith with spring to left bracket off manifold crab bolt

crelledge

Hey Tom, thanks for the replies! I've included some pics of both sides of the engine and the carburetor (currently off for a rebuild). Seems like I need at least two helical springs, one on the driver side and one on the carb side. I've also seen some other pics where there seems to be some kind of rod going from the driver's side of the engine linkage down toward the frame, but can't figure out what that's for.

Articifer Tom

Ok . I see most of the parts there . Lets work from carb back . The rod on right side your holding is fine . It  would not have had a swivel on carb end just a bend ell. Hooked in to hole with washer and cotter pin ,maybe a hole liner . The back look complete . The driver side is where the one spring goes . That rod going forward to engine block coolant access cover goes from there down to the attachment  ,which is not in frame , on the end of steering column . This is for hand throttle on steering wheel . That rod going back you see all the to left is a tear drop shaped spring adjuster . Spring goes to rear at 90* turn of control and stretches on the tear drop adjuster to desired pull. Looking  for pic .

Articifer Tom

Best i could get from my archive . If need can shoot different angle .

ehenin

Articifer Tom

Good pics , especially back spring hook up . I added a length of loom over the spring . Just scared me being right above starter /battery terminal . If adjust slides lose and it drops on it will be like a toaster coil or a sparkler , neither any good .

frankp

These are from my 29.  Unfortunately, I don't have a picture of the hand throttle connection by the CLUM switch.
frank p

Russ T. Fender

I run a Carter BB-1 carburetor and my car is under a restoration now but here are some picture of the linkage set up.  The left linkage runs to the carburetor and the linkage on the right runs from the bottom of the steering column to operate the throttle from the steering column.  The only other connection is the cable for the choke.

Russ T. Fender

Posted one picture twice.  Here is  the other picture

crelledge

Wow, thanks for all the great info everyone! This definitely gives me a lot to work off of. I'll keep y'all updated on how everything is going and see if I can get some more pics up later.