• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

planeing the manifold

Started by Rusty, March 06, 2010, 09:05:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rusty

I useful tip I found out.  I had to take the block with the exhasut manifold attached as it was rusted to the mounting stud.  They had to use a torch to heat it up and remove the manifold.  They then planed the mounting surfaces so they would be flat against the block.  I did not have the intake done at that time.  I mounted them both up on the block and there was a good gap between the intake and the exhaust manifold.  There is a gasket that goes there but that was not going to fix the gap distance.  On a normal flathead inline, the intake is bolted to the exhasut manifold top down so they are bolted together and both taken to the machine shop and planed together to get a nice flat mounting surface.  On there 4 poppers, they are mounted side wise and not bolted togother.  What had to be done was threads were cut in the exhasust manifolds bolt holes and then they could be bolted together and then planed.  Unless they really need to be planed, try not doing such.

rusty