• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

interior

Started by Rusty, June 03, 2010, 03:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rusty

I plan on working on the interior this coming winter.  Where is good place to start for a complete orginial style interior?  Mine is very not orginial style.  rusty

As far as I know interior kits are not avail for our cars so I have saved as many pict. as possible from original cars on e-bay ect to use as a referance. Cant say for plymouth but Dodge had what was called a confidential bulletin and in one of the bulletins I have there is a breakdown of what the interior color and material was according to prod. #. I am sure yours was one of three materials, mohair, leather or bedford cord. I should say I am assuming that those were your choices, that was the only 3 avail for my line. I am sure that I can be a big help if you ever feel like getting it really correct. I have spent a great deal of time studying interiors and the many interior fastners associated with our cars. If you want my e-mail let me know.
Jason Anderson

Rusty

That would help.  I am going to start getting infor and supplies for this coming winter so I can start then.  Which was most common interior?  Do you have photo of the inside handles?  I think the rear window for the passsenger are orginal but not sure about the others?  As you can see my car has a odd combo for the interior.  I also have a bad feeling a lot of the wood is bad, the rest of the car is/was bad so why stop now.  Is there a good place to get new materials?
rusty

Rusty

Rusty

I have so busy with the mechanical part of the car I am just noticeing the interior things.  I have I 4 door sudan, do the rear door windows roll all the way or just 3/4 of way down (like mine) and do the very rear window only roll about 1/2 the way down?  Do I have hidden issues behind the door panels that I did to address sometime in the future?  thanks rusty

chetbrz

Rusty,

I suspect that the rear wheel well will not allow the very rear winds to open fully.   The hardware I see in the picture for your car looks correct.  Those little 'T' handles look original.  I have never attempted to open the very rear windows on my car in that the wood framing is in bad repair. I was worried about getting them closed again.   To my knowledge no one manufactures replacement wood parts for our particular cars.  I don't suspect it would be a booming demand for them in that there are not a lot of these cars around.  If you do remove your interior panels to expose the wood framing please take pictures in that I want to redo mine but will not have time to start this project this year.  I think I am about 3 years away from that adventure.  To many other projects.

Chet...

PS... Enjoy driving your 29 this summer.  Take pictures of your adventures.
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Rusty

I would agree that the T handles in the rear are orginial but all other handles and window cranks are nice a shine chrome, replacements.  I have seen on ebay that handles are listed at times 29-38 ffitting.
Were the handles all the same or were they different but would interchange?
rusty

Rusty

Which type was the most common of the interiors?  I have heard of no  source for mohair.  I have never been a fan of leather, just me.  I am leaning toward cord.  Just message me with your email 1930, if possible.  I what to get a lot of info before tearing the inside apart, unlike what I did with the mechanics.
rusty

I dont know if you read my post but I am most familiar with Dodge not Plymouth but I would be more than happy to tell you what I have learned and we can compare notes on the two. I talk with alot of people and alot of them swear that Plymouth Dodge Desoto Chrysler had little in common with each other, this is an absalute false. I know this because I ask questions,My e-mail is jhason2@yahoo.com
Jason Anderson

kimmc

Rusty; A little late with this reply but I have some pictures of the original interior of my '29 coupe with leather seats.  The fabric on the doors and headliner is worn and torn in some places but it should give you an idea of what was there.  If you want the pics, email me and I'll send them.  Thanks for all your posts....l'll be using your "lessons learned" as I start my restoration adventure.  Mc