• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Windscreen operation Plymouth Q.

Started by aussieQ, April 06, 2012, 06:23:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aussieQ

Can someone please advise how the front windscreen operates and how is the moving arms attached to the windscreen. I,ve had my car for 4 years and the mechanism has never worked in that time. As winter is coming I decided to remove the trim and check out why and to see if I could stop the water leaking when it rains.
On removing the trim I found that the arms that move when the handle is wound have no way of being attached to the top of the windscreen. I presume there needs to be some form of channel attached to the top of the windscreen and it should move up when wound?
Can someone supply a photo or sketch of what is missing?

Regards

Gary

Doug

There was a discussion on this a while back. I posted some pictures of what I had done to get mine to work. The Plymouth crank gears are made from pot metal and break easily. If you can find a crank from a a car that uses steal gears It's easier to work with. The crank just rotates the regulators. two pins are in some slides on ether side at the top of the windshield. It only raises a few inches. The first little bit lets air hit the dash and directs it to the floor. raise it above that and it blows directly in. Works great. 

aussieQ

Thanks Doug,

My regulator and arms work when the handle is wound. I have nothing on top of the windscreen to attach the arms to.

Gary

aussieQ

Hi again Doug,

I just saw the photos you posted in the previous posting. My mechanism looks nothing like that. I'll take a photo of it this afternoon. Looks more like a modern window winder but with only limited movement.

Gary

Doug

I will try and find a picture of the windshield. There ar two rectangular  loops on top the frame that the dowel go in. As the gears turn it raises the windshield

aussieQ

Attached are a few photos of my mechanism. May one of our members may have seen one similar.

Regards

Gary