• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

'28 Top Reconstruction

Started by SteveG, February 26, 2014, 01:15:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kimmc

chetbrz

Quote from: Old Man on March 04, 2014, 10:21:24 AM
My 2 cents: I remember the '28s and '29s had a wood chine all the way around the roof and it rotted from water ingress and I filled it out with body fill. I remember the rain gutter was the last thing tacked  on the sides.

Kim & Old Man,

I am trying to picture the reference to " a wood chine all the way around the roof ".  I am aware that the structure behind the skins is wood.  I am assuming that Old Man's statement is referring to something on the surface ? or maybe I have that wrong.

Kim, Thanks for all the pictures.  They clarify what the rain gutter looked like.  I don't have this item.  That should be a little challenging to fabricate.  Also the trim on the back is metal.  So is mine but it might not be original.  If you have the rain gutter off, a tracing of the contour would be very helpful for fabrication. 

Example:  see picture below.

Tks,  Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

kimmc

Chet:  There was no exposed wood 'trim' on my top.  I believe the wood 'chine' that Old Man refers to is the heavy duty wood framing that surrounds the cab roof perimeter and to which the top fabric is tacked.  All the wood is covered by the top fabric.  As Old Man describes, water can get in along the top edge of the sun visor.  One of my pictures shows the loose fabric along the front edge as a result of wood deterioration in this location.  You will recall all the fill and 'toothpick' repair I did to this wood framing to ready it for a new top.  I will get a picture and cross-section diagram of the rain gutter for you.  mc

Crazydave

I have about half the roof in tack and the other half falling apart. Took some pictures of the varying state of decay.

Passenger side rear corner

Driver side rear corner

Top view of the passenger side rear.

Crazydave

Intact original roof

Crazydave

Crazydave

FYI

If you click on the photo if should bring you to my photo bucket (free online image hosting website) I have a folder labeled 1929 Plymouth U with about 100 pictures in there. Maybe I have some pictures that are helpful, or if you just want to snoop around it, its open and that's what its for. I will add groups of pictures as slowly start work on this project.

Feel free to ask for certain pictures, I'm happy to help if I can.

Good luck on the resto, I'll be on here looking for answers in the near future.         Dave

chetbrz

Hay Dave,

Nice pictures.  Any idea what that metal piece over the driver's side windshield is for.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

kimmc

Crazy Dave:  Nice pics.  Liked the ones in your bucket too.  Thanks for letting us know about those.  My wood look similar to yours in some spots....dry rot.  I was able to repair much of mine using a recommended product called "Poly All".  It really is great stuff...a polyurethane that will soak into wood and stabilize it.  Check out my description about using it on my top wood under "I need some advise" on page 4 of the general category.  If you are not a skilled wood worker, I recommend you consider using this product where you can rather than tearing out the top wood and milling replacement pieces.  If the wood is just too far gone, then you have no choice of course.  Good luck and keep us posted.  mc

kimmc

Chet:  Here's the rain gutter stuff you asked for.  My car is a coupe and yours a sedan so there may be some differenches that you can resolve.  The gutter is 37 inches long and has a 7/8" arc in order to follow the roof line above the door.  There are holes along its length; 1/4" from each end for a screw, then a tack hole 1 1/4" from each end, then another 2 1/4" from each end, then the holes continue at 2" spacing.  Pictures are attached.  Hope this helps.  From Crazy Dave's sedan pics it looks like the rain gutter turns down at the back end.  Good luck with your project.

chetbrz

Thanks,

This is all great info and the drawing you created is perfecto.  I just hope we didn't highjack Steve's post.  Now all I have to do is find some time to start the work on my car.  Just need to close out some home improvement projects before I can open up this can of worms.

Tks, Chet...

Crazydave

Chet- Those metal tabs are around on both the passenger and driver sides as well. They seem to tack those over the seams where they butt the wood together. When I rip that thing apart I'll document where and how many there are.

kimmc- Thanks for the info. My goal this year is to get it running, moving and braking. I'll update my restore thread when I get moving on it again.

SteveG

All these pics and discussions are priceless! I now know how to proceed.

I will post pics and comments this weekend as to my progress.

SteveG

Old Man

Yes Kim I meant the actual structure of the roof at the sides. This eventually became a steel overlap in later Plymouths. (The roof became a "drop-in" square with the steel sides painted body color.) The photos bring back memories. Some of that "rain gutter" strip is called "Hidem" and is still available on pages 188/189  of Mac's AutoParts of Buffalo. Also all the end tips. Hidem was apparently a brand name and was used by all the manufacturers at the time. And just point it out again,use black RTV under everything to seal the edges of the material. Test screw all your trim in place and them remove it and place a line of RTV along the mating surface and final screw the trim in place. Any that squeezes out can be wiped away with paper towels and you will never see it later. Been there,done that. And keep the roofing material well covered with your choice of spray on water proofing over the years. Just about all of them come with a built in sun block now and the top looks nicer too. 

kimmc

Old Man:  Your moniker should be 'Mr. Encyclopedia'...thanks for this info.  I will check Mac's catalogue...I need the end pieces...I expect they will have the top material too?  Anyhow, thanks for sharing all that Plymo info stuffed into your noodle...     mc