• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

1931 PA - Ignition timing

Started by Roland, April 15, 2014, 03:31:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chetbrz

Roland,

Did you ever resolve the problem ?

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Roland

Chet,
is much better now!
1. Changed the Spark Plug Wires to copper wires,
2. set Valve timing
3. changed the Carburetor

Every step was an improvement! But I think that the main problem was the carburetor.
The car now runs quite well. But there's still some space of improvement, especially when the Engine warms up, it still "misfires".

Thanks for all the help, great job!!!
Roland

chetbrz

Great News !! Thanks for the feedback.
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

bobnroman

Chetbra       it seems you have a PA     low oil pressure when how       what pressure is your car producing

bobnroman

when cold      real good     will do as much as 60 if I screw in the PRV  but when hot   hard to get it to 28

29plycoop

Quote from: chetbrz on April 17, 2014, 11:50:42 AM
Roland,

Sounds like you have been down every avenue.  The engine you described sounds good.  My assumption is that you also have a new capacitor as well as the new coil.  Everything else makes it worst brings us to either spark or gasoline.  I had an 8 cylinder that drove me nuts which had a new distributor cap that got a good deal of moisture in it due to a rather large puddle.  Even after it along with everything else was dried out and after a close inspection, which turned up nothing wrong,  the motor would misfire like it had bad wires.  Like you.., I went down every path and finally changed the distributor cap because it was the only thing I hadn't replaced twice because it was new.  Bingo the motor purred like a kitten.  Apparently after closer inspection it appeared that it was arcing from the center point randomly to the plug points.  Maybe the moisture or maybe a defective cap.  To this day I always save my old working distributor cap as a spare, just in case.
If you try the carb and it doesn't help, I would try a new set of plug wires not bunched together in the wire holder and a new distributor cap just because. 

One last quick question, anything unusually going on when this problem first showed itself.  In my case it was rain.

On Second thought 9 psi at idle I think is low.  Have you checked the intake manifold for cracks or loose bolts.  Also the carb ?  My flathead 6 cyl pulls 21 @ low idle and rock steady.  I am not sure with my 29 I don't think I have had the need to check it.  Probably should just for a point of reference.

PS... The reading I am using for vacuum is measured in inches of mercury.
21 inch of mercury = 10.31 psi   So 9 psi at idle may not be a problem if you are measuring in psi.

Chet...
Plymouth and inovation go hand in hand.