• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Kingston vacuum tanks

Started by 1930, March 09, 2010, 09:26:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I have been told that 28 Plymouth ( at least ) came originally with Kingston and only Kingston is this true? Does anyone have any information on these tanks? Thanks
Jason Anderson

29UJohn

Type in "Kingston" in the search window and then go down an open the subject "Kingston Vacume Fuel Pump is Overflowing - Any Advice? "  You wil find a picture of the tank and information on how it works.
John
1929U 4 Dr

I type in Kingston and all it does it bring me right back to my original question I posted here!
Does anyone know what vacuum tank originally came on 28-29 Plymouths and does anyone have any onformation on these?

Ok I figured it out, like i said if I type in Kingston on the little window at the top right portion of screen it is usless, if I click on the search tab at the left top it shows me some kingston related stuff, not exactely what I was looking for but lots of good info nevertheless.
I would like to find out what the original top fittings look like,  all the pictures I have viewed here  show two copper fittings, I may be wrong but I dont think this is original, I have a couple of fittings that I think are original and would like to post them here so maybe someone can confirm they are original but I dont see how to place a pict. If anyone can tell me how to post a photo here ( in posting photos for the computer illiterate terms ) than that would be great.
I have a friend with a 29 Chandler that also has a Kingston originally, he is in need of the original fitting, I have an engineers design format for the fitting and would like to reproduce the fitting and am wondering if anyone else is interested in that.
As far as I know and pretty sure I am not mistaken the originals were pot-metal, I have a couple of these but also have the brass version that as far as I know was made at a little bit of a later date. I would assume that there would be a great interest in this but cant seem to find it, anyone here interested.
Also researching the vacuum tank as far as the lawsuit that was filed between Kingston and Stewert for patent infringement, looking for ANY patent #s for the tank as well. Any information in addition to this would be helpfull.
Jason Anderson

Doug

My 30U has a Stewart pump on it. From all I can find out it came that way are was changed a long time ago. My question is did Plymouth switch to Stewart pumps before they switch to the cam driven pump?

Gary 30U

All I can add to this is what is listed in the parts book.

VACUUM tank assembly (all except Germany) -- Q, U up to RD-042-D U.S. built and GC-335-W Canadian built had a part # 43280

and

Vacuum tank assembly  -- U from RD-042-D U.S. built and GC-335-W Canadian built (all except Germany), 30U all canadian jobs. had a part#304682.

Also states that the Vacuum reservoir tank changed part #'s at the same serial numbers.

Not sure if this was a change from Kingston to Stewart Warner or ????. just what the parts book says.

NOTE: Book also says Gasoline pump replaced on vacuum tank effective 1517571 U.S. built and 9302997 Canadian built.

I just found an unmolested - unrestored 28. Fellow says he is the third owner. I will check it out as I know it is still running on the original vacuum pump system. Can't belive this car. Only things I see are not the correct carb, a Zenith, and incorrect exhaust pipe. Otherwise it is all there, not pristine of great, but it is all there and driven every week.

29UJohn

The fittings on top are brass.  One the one from the gas tank is basically a similar female flare fitting as on the gas tank.  The other brass fitting is for a 1/8 copper compression fitting, basically the same as for the other end of the line that connetcs to the oil vac pump on the engine.  See attached picture.  There is one fellow I knew of that repairs these, he may have some to sell?  I will try and find his name if you want.  John 29U

These pumps are very simple, and if kept clean and tight, work fairly well.

Below is a copy the post I was referring to, from Dec 2007:

"Rick,

Here is a picture of mine [Kingston Vac-Fuel pump for 29 Plymouth].  

KINGSTON PRODUCTS CORP  Kokomo Indiana  -  Model 39
Date#   5 / 30
COULOMBE PAT'S
JAN 18, 1921    -    AUG 1, 1922
APR  7, 1922    -    JAN 22, 1924

Chet"
John
1929U 4 Dr