• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Rear Window gasket ???

Started by chetbrz, April 10, 2020, 11:17:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chetbrz

Exactly Tom, Now you understand my dilemma. 

dilemma
       1. a situation requiring a choice between equally undesirable alternatives.

We are on the same page...??

It looks like these detents force the glass to center.  On second look there isn't much of a bottom one.., only the two side ones are like the picture.  The top one isn't as pronounced and the bottom one is very slight.  Maybe they square the glass against the rear surface.  Maybe there were clips that went behind these to tighten the glass or some type of molding.  Maybe tightening caused them to bow out ??  That's why I am asking if anybody has changed this rear glass and what and how they did it.  (Might need additional parts)

It seems like this glass was held in place by some type of glazing putty rather than a gasket.  Of course after 90+ years who knows what happened to this area.  Maybe a farmer used plumbers putty to set the glass.  ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
BUT; the window is original glass not safety glass.  I will have a new window made up with safety glass, also going to replace the windshield since I have already replaced all the door glass with safety glass.

Eventually I may get it right the second and third time...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

chetbrz

OK Tom.., I used the double sided glazing tape to install the rear window.  The exterior looks good with a nice 3/16" of glazing tape making a nice even exterior window seal. 

Now I have set the glass does this stuff harden or does it stay soft.  I have never used this Butyl tape before ?

BTW.., The raised areas were not an issue.  I put the tape all around the frame and pressed it level before installing the glass.  It made a nice even seal.   

http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Articifer Tom

I am not sure on how it hard exposed to sunlight . We use it underground to seal concert vaults . But on window I've seen it must skin over for cleaning . I do not think it ever hardens , maybe firms .
  How was it working with ?  Seem to have molded in nice . And what did you come up with to back up holding it in position .?  Did you use something on the clips ?

chetbrz

Tom,

I think I will frame the inside like a regular window.  I could simulate something in wood and paint it black like the other window moldings. Or maybe upholstery the wood. I have pictures of Dave's car and he has upholstered frame. We'll see.   

I thought you have used this on glass. 

rwollman

OK guess I don't understand the problem here - why not use the rear window gasket for a model A sedan - the window is bigger than the Plymouth so you have lots of rubber to work with. it goes right in over the body channel opening for the glass just like the original. a little windshield sealant seals the ends (black).  Set the glass in the bottom channel of the rubber then with a little pressure and a string you roll the outer lip over the glass -DONE.  seems better than glazing strips or whatever......I know, don't use model a stuff on a Plymouth but ya gotta use whats available sometimes

chetbrz

Quote from: rwollman on June 06, 2020, 08:19:30 AM
OK guess I don't understand the problem here - why not use the rear window gasket for a model A sedan - the window is bigger than the Plymouth so you have lots of rubber to work with. it goes right in over the body channel opening for the glass just like the original. a little windshield sealant seals the ends (black).  Set the glass in the bottom channel of the rubber then with a little pressure and a string you roll the outer lip over the glass -DONE.  seems better than glazing strips or whatever......I know, don't use model a stuff on a Plymouth but ya gotta use whats available sometimes

This post would have been nice if received earlier.  I was asking if there was a useable gasket I could modify and use.  Which Model A part should I order.  ??

Tks Chet...

rwollman

go to Amazon - search for Trim Lok dense rubber window lock gasket - P# LK1663-25

chetbrz

rwollman,

I hope the picture I made will help explain the problem.  There is no flange to mount a rubber gasket and the body is at a right angle to the glass and is nailed to the wood frame.  I have the Trim Lock catalog and I really didn't see anything that appeared to solve my problem.

To complicate matters there are also 4 detents that appear to help position the glass.  see below:

Have you replaced the rear window in the 29 sedan.  Did the Model A gasket work out OK.  Also how does the Model A rear glass work.  Is there a flange or a thick right angle like the Plymouth's body.

Thanks, Chet...

Articifer Tom

Looks good Chet . I think you did not have much choice on methods . Only option was maybe type of sealant and  for every good to be said for one, you'll find two bad's . They would not have had urethane  or rtv or butyl , so must have used something petroleum based mastic / tar . The main thing is your backing up for sag and it looks good and keeps water out .
  Sounds like your confident in all those parameters .

chetbrz

Tom,

I guess this stuff will work OK.  It has pretty well set itself into place and the window won't budge.  After the frame is installed it should be fine.  The tape I used is "CRL 3/16" x 3/8" Double Sided Glazing Tape - Butyl Tape Black Used for windows and RV's"  I read a review from a guy who set in a window on his boat and it worked fine with no leaks.  He said he might have to break the glass to remove it again.  Who knows, but it seems to be fine.  I doubt if this car will ever see a hard rain but I am confident the window won't leak, move, or crack.  Now whether it will last another 90 years.., well only time will tell.

rwollman

Sorry - the 28 just  has a flange that the rubber sits in, then the glass goes in outside groove of rubber.. no detents on the 28 that I remember.  Had the gentleman that painted the car install just the seal, that way if any cement (sealer) got on paint he could remove it - I just put the glass in. Hard to believe they would change that much in one year unless the two body manufacturers did things a little different in some areas.  I believe u already have your glass installed?? .  I'll look around a little and see if I can come up with something now that I know what you are dealing with..   

chetbrz

That's great. Always good to have choices if something doesn't work out.  Frank has a 29 sedan and his rear window moldings are different than Dave's and my car.  I have been using Dave's car as a standard in that it is an unrestored survivor.  Each of these cars seem to have their own story.