• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Question on front seats

Started by chetbrz, September 25, 2013, 04:16:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chetbrz

I was reading a post on another site and this made me curious about the front seat in my 29 Plymouth.  It seems like it is mounted in place and my car didn't have any adjustment mechanism.   Of course it doesn't have original flooring either.  So the question on the table is how was the original front seat in the 28/29 & 30 mounted and were they adjustable to accommodate different size drivers  ???

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

aussieQ

Hi Chet,

My 28 four door sedan has the back bolster assembly bolted in place, although I haven't actually taken any notice of where it actually attaches. The base just sits on the floor covering a metal storage compartment with a sheet metal angle bracket the whole way along the lower front edge of the seat, so there is no adjustment forward or back. I believe this is original to my car, here in Australia. But as the body work of mine was built by a different coach builder to most plymouths here, there may be variations depending who built it. Being short I don't have a problem with the seat too close but I do need to sit on a cushion to comfortably see where I'm going. One of my future tasks is to raise the seat, but then again a cushion has been fine for five years now.
I'm leaving early in the morning on a 3 day club run in the Plymouth Q. We plan to cover around 500 to 600 Kilometers on the round trip. Not huge distances but far enough to enjoy the driving experience over the 3 days . When I get back I'll check out how the back of the seat is attached and if there is any form of adjustment, but I doubt it.

Regards

Gary S

imoore

Hi chet
My Q has a 2 way adjustable front seat. Forward and backwards on wheels with a lock in centre.
has belts which recline the backrest completly flat. I guess to form a bed.
It is factory and i believe standard feature on holden body built tourers here in Aust.
I have seen it on another Q and U tourer and a series 65 tourer.
Can post a picture if u like.
Under the seat i have a tin storage conpartment.

Ian 
1928 Q tourer (Holden bodied)
Several vintage stationary engine

chetbrz

Ian,

That's very interesting that in the Touring Version Holden installed an adjustable seat that converted into a bed.    I wonder if there was something similar on the US built touring cars.   I guess there weren't many no-tell motels around so sleeping in the vehicle was better than sleeping on the road.    Next car show I go to I am going to pay more attention to the way the seats were installed in the late 20's and what niceties were included. 

Gary,

Thanks for the responce.   What you described is the same as my 29 sedan except I don't have the metal piece. Mine has a wood block which is definitely not original. 

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

frankp

Hi folks,
Interesting to hear of a "bed" accessory.  Could have used that a time or two!

My front bench seat is fixed and can't be adjusted.  Hayes body.
frank
frank p

ALS30U

In my 30U Coupe There is a rail that runs along the bottom of the seat. On the front lip of the rail there are 2 small metal pegs tat the front board of the seat bottom rest on There are 2 holes on the board allowing the bottom of the seat to be adjusted about 2 inches closer to the steering wheel.

AL

frankp

Here is my floor with the bottom seat "pins" and the frame showing the holes they fit.

I don't see an adjustable front seat in the Master Parts List until the PA.  However, here is an Auxiliary seat listed which I don't what it is.  frank
frank p

chetbrz

AL and Frank, 

Thanks for the pictures they explain a great deal.  I am missing the bottom wood frame and the pins.  My seat just has a plywood bottom.  One quick question, how thick is the bottom wood frame? 

Ths Chet...

imoore

Hi there, just thought id post some pictures of the seat. Its hard to get a clear picture. but u can sort of get the idea.
ian

imoore

and another

frankp

Chet,  my frame is 3/4"   frank
frank p

ALS30U

Mine is also 3/4 inch. I believe that the second hole in my frame was put in by someone trying to get the seat a little closer to the peddles. This works for me as I'm not that tall.
AL

chetbrz

Thank you all,  This is great information.  You don't see many old Plymouths at car shows especially 28,29, & 30.  At least in my immediate local area.

Tks, Chet...

Old Man

The non adjustable mounting on 2 hollow metal pegs was the North American standard method of mounting the Q and U front lower seat. The back was mounted to the floor and fixed to the center posts as part of the rigid assembly of the body.

chetbrz

Tks, 

This is all good info so that someday I might be able to undo some of the things that have changed over the past 80 years.