• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

1934 dodge

Started by Tinkeys, December 27, 2011, 04:40:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I would add that I myself would sorta be happy to find the hole, at least you know now why the car was prob. never finished. Good chance seller knew that was a problem and lost interest because of the mountain of a job that it appeared to have been.
I would assume at this point that otherwise you are good to go once you get that hole plugged up, it would be a shame to get rid of what I am assuming is the original engine for numbers reason so again hope you can find a way to save her.
Jason Anderson

SDGlenn

You must be familiar with welding cast iron, the cracking problem with too much heat. It the cracks aren't too large maybe try drilling a hole, run threads then an allen screw. If the hole is to large perhaps more drill holes and repeat with more tapping and allen screws. Just an Idea. I have never had much luck welding cast iron. Good luck.
SD Glenn
SDGlenn

Tinkeys

Unfortunately the engine is not her own but from a later Plymouth , I am trying to save her only because it has so much new parts and machine work done!
Glens idea will suite part of the repair but not all we will see soon as next week I start 4 weeks holidays and will give it my all !

Tinkeys

Well boys and girls !
Today is 1st day of my 4 weeks holiday and I spent it grinding out crack in my dodge engine heated it up tp 300 deg C.  For an hour, in our pizza oven (of all places) lifted it out onto block of wood welded 1/2inch at time and preened the daylights out of the weld while doing this had a propane blower heater on block to help keep heat in, mind you today's temp was 32 deg.c  I was sweating more than a boxer training in a desert on a summers day, I think it took a total of 45 to 50 min. To weld. And peen non stop.
Engine block is now on a slow cool down over 2 days in oven wood fired ,I did see the cam bearings start to melt out of there shells but will replace them if pressure test Checks out OK  and no more signs of crack in block. Will find out after Monday if it's a success or not, I did give it my best shot.

Tinkeys

Engine block is now down to 210 deg c after 24 hours, just wondering if it's cooling to slow !

SDGlenn

If you are standing fairly close you will hear it crack. lol.   I don't think you are cooling too slow, I would cool faster than that, but don't let me influence you, you seem to know what the heck you are doing. lol  Good luck
SD Glenn
SDGlenn

Tinkeys

I have succesfuly plugged inside leak with nickel arc rods now I have an external very small crack adjacent to my inside repair this I will use drill and tap plugs as Glen was reffering to as this crack runs adjacent to oil pressure gallery then does a 90deg. turn into it. ( Why me) its really testing my patience
here is a picture of leak B4 I started repair !
In picture this is how I found the no oil pressure problem ! and so far I have had 2 goes at the fix, its now back in oven for 2nd time, as after 1st attempt too much welding at once, got to take small steps

SDGlenn

You are amazing Tony, you got more patience than.....
SDGlenn
SDGlenn

Tinkeys

After this weekend I should know if I was successful or not saving the block, it's been on slow cool down since Monday it's now Thursday , I have purchased  plugs to repair out side oil gallery ,sure hope this time and effort pays off !

Tinkeys

2nd time round inside leak succesfull when it went into oven ! just have to plug small outside leak and pressure test .
Pizza anyone ?

Tinkeys

Today finished pluging outside leak in block used used tapered tap and stitch interlock method !
Pressure tested 100% , then assembeld  crank to check if block distorted all ok , next order new cam bearing clean and reassemble !
I feel like a surgeon saved one more from junkyard in the sky.
Will post some pics of plugs and weld later on .

Tinkeys

Hi guys !
           Tomorrow I pickup welded engine block from machine shop had new cam bearings fitted that came from USA that was the hold up.
This weekend will start reassembling motor, and that should clear up my garage a little more as I have parts laying everywhere .

chetbrz

It sounds like you are heading for a great weekend.

Good luck on the rebuild.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Tinkeys

Motor is now all assembled ready to Paint from pizza black to Silver, I'm tipping after fire up and it gets warm its going to smell like it came from a Pizza shop !!!

Tinkeys

Painted engine  ! Next step is test run then into car .