• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

29 u

Started by carman1948, June 08, 2016, 08:04:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

carman1948

Has anybody got information on the possibility of an in-line water pump that you could hook up to the radiator it would be six volt for a 29 u

chetbrz

The thermal-syphon system works well even in very hot weather, you shouldn't need an additional water pump.  Are you having over heat issues.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

carman1948

On warm days when he's driving it seems like it steams a lot and sometimes it's spits somefluid out

chetbrz

If he fills the radiator to the top it will shed water until it reaches its running capacity. After that there is no need to add water.  You know heat expands so if you look into the radiator when it's cold you will not see any coolent.  No need to add the coolent that's lost.   When running the radiator should feel hot at the top and cooler near the bottom.  Of course it shouldn't steam. 

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

carman1948

Thank you for the info haven't driven this car much and was wondering about the radiator coolant level the side eases my mind quite a bit another thing I'm looking for is a couple Lugnuts for the wooden spokes

29UJohn

The lug nuts are exactly the same as the Model T Ford.  You can order them on-line from Snyders.
John
1929U 4 Dr

Gary 30U

Carmen, When I first got my 30U, (which has the water pump) I would have problems with it belching water about every fee minutes. What I found is that I had a plugged radiator. If would build up pressure and when it would release and flow it would blow out around the cap. It was never hot as you could hold your finger in the radiator. Took the radiator out and had it flushed, took the water pump off and flushed out the engine block. You couldn't believe all the crap that came out. Anyway had the water pump rebuilt (which is a special story of it's own) and haven't had any problems since.

chetbrz

Quote from: Gary 30U on June 16, 2016, 12:14:25 AM
Carmen, When I first got my 30U, (which has the water pump) I would have problems with it belching water about every fee minutes. What I found is that I had a plugged radiator. If would build up pressure and when it would release and flow it would blow out around the cap. It was never hot as you could hold your finger in the radiator. Took the radiator out and had it flushed, took the water pump off and flushed out the engine block. You couldn't believe all the crap that came out. Anyway had the water pump rebuilt (which is a special story of it's own) and haven't had any problems since.

Gary, Good advise.  I flushed out my engine and radiator a couple of years back and got quite a lot of crap out.  The car has been running great ever since.   :)

Chet..

racertb

I have found that having more water (distilled) than coolant solved my occasional overheating problem.  70/30 or 60/40 ratio (more distilled water).