• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Dave's 1929 U Resto project

Started by Crazydave, November 04, 2013, 02:42:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chetbrz

Sounds great Dave,  I think you made the right choice.  Please post more info once you get the harness.

Many thanks, Chet...

PS... Do I have the info correct:

YnZs Yesterdays Parts
333 E. Stuart Ave. Unit A
Redlands, CA 92374
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Crazydave

Quote from: chetbrz on May 04, 2017, 12:39:38 AM

Sounds great Dave,  I think you made the right choice.  Please post more info once you get the harness.

Many thanks, Chet...

PS... Do I have the info correct:

YnZs Yesterdays Parts
333 E. Stuart Ave. Unit A
Redlands, CA 92374

Looks right.

Their site http://www.ynzyesterdaysparts.com/

Harness list http://www.ynzyesterdaysparts.com/pdfs/Plymouth.pdf

Crazydave

Look what showed up today....

Quick glance, looks good. Well tagged. I will have to reuse some pieces , like the bakelite(?) headlight connectors.

Will get into details when I start to install.

Crazydave

Starting digging into my wood repair, some of it is a littler further gone than slapping some wood putty on it. (all though it would probably get me by)
The front piece in the pictures below is pretty bad on the passenger side. I think I can get it all apart with out too much struggle. I can pull the screws in the bows, pull the metal strips on the ends off and pull the whole room top (bows & slats) as one assembly and get at the other pieces easier for inspection and repair. Plus to do the headliner right, it show come out anyway.

What would you guys do? Pull the piece, remove the rot form, fill and sand?

Or try and remake the piece? There is enough of it there to get accurate measurements?  Problem with option, is I lack the tools and techniques to get it right. It is one piece, with lots of scary curves, and pieces......

chetbrz

You know Dave I have to make every single piece of that same roof and I have no original wood to go by, nothing but pictures.  Do you have any pictures of the interior front & rear without the headliner in place.

If you were up to it I might have to make a trip out your way to do a little research.  It might be beneficial to both of us.
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Crazydave

If a trip out is worth it to you, I would be happy to have you out. Will just have to coordinate a good time and take a few days off. We can trade numbers in PM or Email.

Headliner is in yet, I didn't get too crazy tearing it all apart. Will take a few more pictures.

Crazydave

Prepping for wiring. Uncovered the Clum switch, literally just the outline of it showing. It was so covered in years of grease and blow by, I felt like an archaeologist. Got it out, cleaned up grabbed my fluke and Ohmed out all switch positions to make sure they were good. Checked the connections to the wiring diagrams. Pictures below for those who may not have seen one, or just like lots of pictures.  :)

Crazydave

First problem. New wiring kit comes with smaller connectors for the headlight plug ins, they fall through. Old ones were crimped and were not intended to be reused. I tried to expand them, but they are splitting. Anybody know off hand a place to find replacements? (maybe a ford part, same headlamps) I'll give a look at a few catalogs, but will probably just try and solder them together.

Crazydave

Vacuum Pump - Cleaned up the Kingston can I picked up the other year,(best I could) Frank left me some Red-Kote. So I coated the seams and left it to dry.

Crazydave

The other week I was cruising around the neighborhood and luckily it happened when I was back in my yard the car just quit. Spark related. Hadn't happened before. Checked the basics, found no issues was leaning toward that old original coil I had repaired. (see earlier in the thread) Neighbor helped me get it back in the a garage, but the cause was bugging me. Grabbed another coil of off the shelf wired it in quick, car started right up. Patted myself on the back and though what a great mechanic I would of been back in the thirties. Happen to find a new old stock coil on ebay bought it up. Figured I had a working key and top pot metal part, I would be back in business and still original in short order.

The next week Frank was over. I was pulling a few things apart, assuming that coil was junk asked him should I try it one more time before I yank it out?    Sure!   ....car fired right up..... Puzzled I asked if he was feeling brave? and off on a successful test drive we went. I don't know what happened, I am just going to rewire it and hope for the best. Guess its best to have a spare one of everything you can find...but hey I got a new coil. Tabs aren't even bent.

29UJohn

Regarding the headlight plugs, the Ford plugs do not interchange.  However, you could use the Ford plugs if you also install Ford components in the headlight.
I was able to reuse my plug brass wire ends, but that was 40 years ago.
You might be able to solder them and make them work even if slightly damaged.
John
1929U 4 Dr

Articifer Tom

Try Chevy , The Filling Station online has . They fit my '31 Twilights . It is already on pig tail on ends needed .
                      tom

29UJohn

I see part number H-2 on page 287. Is that the correct part?
John
1929U 4 Dr

Articifer Tom

Yes , HL-2 is three wire . I had to sand a few thousand off dia. to fit in my existing metal covers .No big deal .  Other parts match to Twilight internals .

Crazydave

I ended up cutting the crimp off flat, drilled and soldered on the new connectors. Slowly installing sections of the new harness. Should be able to make some progress this weekend.

Can anyone recommend a good source for bulbs and correct plug wires? Filling station? (I didn't look through the catalog yet)