• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

tool kits

Started by 1930, April 25, 2010, 07:39:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I have been researching early tool kits that came with our cars and would appreciate any help or leads as to what Plymouth may have used and or what manuf. supplied their tools. Thanks in advance for any help
Jason Anderson

kimmc

Hello.  The Plymouth Instruction Book (owner's manual) has a list of the tools provided with the car.  I'm attaching a copy of that page as well as a copy of the cover of the manual.  A reproduction of the manual is for sale on ebay by Lloydslit for $12 (item # 220596062144).  Also on ebay is a very large tool kit for sale by seller gold4044 (item # 170477416668).  If you watch ebay you can pick up various pieces of the tool kit from time to time.  Check out seller gold4044 other items too (jack, other tools).  I've also included a instruction sheet for the rim jack (wheel rim wrench on the list).  You will need one of these if you ever plan on changing a tire on one of the split rims.  Hope this helps and good luck.  Kim Mc

That is alot of great info, thanks for sharing that, any idea on who supplied the wrenches for the 29 Plymouth, I have seen the sets on e-bay and will save my comments for now.
Also would it be possible to get a clearer picture of the rim tool, I cannot read what the instructions say, thanks again
Jason Anderson

kimmc

"Fairmount Cleve" is the manufacturer of the wrenches according to the seller's info for stuff I've looked at.  I haven't researched this myself.  I do not know the manufacturers of the other tools in the kit.  I am attaching a picture of the rim jack on a rim off my '29...I don't know if it will provide you with enough detail.  There is no manufacturer's name on the piece, only a patent date and number.  It's a pretty substantial tool though (and an adventure learning how to use one!).  I'll try to recopy to document I sent you so that it is readable.  I had a hard time getting a readable hardcopy from the electronic version.  Hope this helps.  Kim

kimmc

I am resending the rim jack instructions...better copy this time I think.  Kim

Much better, thanks for that copy, I have the same tool, havent had the need to use it yet but it looks fun. I have seen what e-bay sellers post but have learned to do my own research, thanks for your time and the great pictures.
Jason Anderson

Gary 30U

I to am interested in putting together a tool set for my 30U. I have three rim jacks, two are not marked as to manufacture, but the other says Pacific Rim Tool, Jr. One of them does have a circle with a B in the middle as kind of a manufactures brand mark, but no name. All three of these will do my 19" wheels, and to of the, including the Pacific will go al the way out to do 24" wheels.

I would like to know if anyone knows the brands that were originally used for each of the tools in the kit.

Anyone???

Gary

I would also like to know do Plymouths have tool bag or pouch originally? Anyone ever seen one and maybe have a picture?
Jason Anderson

Gary 30U

Hello -- Is anyone out there????

mopardave

My '28 has a running board mounted tool box and I have a list of the tools that came with it, but there is no mention of a pouch.
All Plymouths: 1928 Q; 1951 P-23; 1966 Sport Fury Convertible; 1975 (Space) Duster; 1999 Prowler

Somebody must have seen a 29 or 30 original wrench or better yet set of wrenches, was it a forged wrench? was it a stamped wrench? your experiences will help others better understand what originally came with their cars for tools. Anyone have any suggestions of where among Plymouth owners I might get answers to these questions if they cant be answered here. Thanks for any replies
Jason Anderson

chetbrz

I would try the Technical Advisors for the Plymouth Owners Club:

1928Q - Earl Button     email  carlbutton@yahoo.com

1929U - Jeff C Button   email  jbutton57@yahoo.com

Good Luck,  Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Thats a great start, thanks for the contact info
Jason Anderson

chetbrz

As an FYI...

The November/December 2009 issue of the Plymouth Bulletin had a gentleman selling a 31-32 PA PB Plymouth tool kit.  The parts that are listed were; wheel wrench, tappet wrench, 3-2 sided box wrenches, pliers, screwdriver, and hammer with canvas bag.  He also referenced a May/June 1985 issue of the Bulletin as a reference article on Plymouth tools.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

jbutton57@yahoo.com <jbutton57@yahoo.com>..........This is coming back as an invalid e-mail address, is there a more current or updated, Havent heard anything back yet from the other address given for Earl.
Was there a picture of the toolkit he was selling and is either of the issues you mentioned still avail?
Jason Anderson