• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

OMG Moment

Started by chetbrz, July 22, 2018, 11:53:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chetbrz

For the past 3 days I have been doing battle with water leaking from the front screw hole of the motors input water flange.  This is the part that connects to the hose running to the bottom of the radiator.  I assumed that water was getting past the gasket and syphoning through the screw hole closest to the front of the engine.  See picture:

I tried every type of gasket seal from RTV to the old standard Indian Head Gasket Shellac.  In each case I let the flange set over night before adding on the first attempt 50/50.., after that, water was less expensive.  Each time to my disappointment the leak would com back dripping from the screw. 

As a last resort I was going to remove the bolts from the block of which one of these bolts would most likely needed to be cut and drilled out.  Don't ask.!!  My intent was to resurface the motor flange.  Finally I decided to stop reacting and start investigating.  Generally if you think something is the problem and you have fixed that problem a couple of times to no success.., generally the problem is caused by something else.

Since doing the something over and over again expecting a different result is the definition of nuts. I decided to investigate other possible causes.  I thought the housing might be cracked or pitted through to the screw hole.  Well it didn't take long to discover this.  See below the part the wife is holding with flash light behind.

OMG...  Pitted holes right next to the front screw !!  The light at the end of the tunnel.

With the bolt in place the water looked like it was dripping out of the screw hole. 

Sometimes you just have to stop and think and not jump to conclusions. 

Do you think this is a job for JB weld ?

Chet...

http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Russ T. Fender

I repaired a similar pin hole with JB weld but eventually opened it up a bit and brazed it.  The JB weld repair lasted several years, but brazing will last forever.

chetbrz

Quote from: Russ T. Fender on July 22, 2018, 12:28:57 PM
I repaired a similar pin hole with JB weld but eventually opened it up a bit and brazed it.  The JB weld repair lasted several years, but brazing will last forever.

Thanks Russ,  brazing is not one of my skills.  Maybe the guy in the Napa machine shop near me could direct me to someone who could fix this right.

Chet... 
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

frankp

Now we all know how to keep looking for pesky leak causes.  Permanent fix is the way to go.
frank p

Crazydave

Hay Dave, 

I found a local welder/machine shop who was recommended by the Napa shop.
He didn't think brazing was the way to go he is going to silver solder it from the inside. Anyway he understands the need to "do no harm". He has antique tractors and one with a thermal syphon flat head.

Fingers crossed.

Sorry I messed up your post. I thought I was quoting it but things are much to small on a cellphone

Fat fingered it '. Chet