• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Dampening springs

Started by Russ T. Fender, March 18, 2018, 06:32:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Russ T. Fender

My 30-U has dampening springs and no shocks.  I now have a set of shocks and the mounting hardware for the car.  Should I remove the dampening springs when I install the shocks or did they come with them even if the car was originally equipped with shocks.  I have always assumed the dampening shocks took the place of the shocks that were an option.

chetbrz

If you do remove the dampening top springs don't discard them. When I had my springs built that was the only item they couldn't duplicate.
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Russ T. Fender

Unless I am told it is a definite no, no I plan to use them along with the shocks.  If the ride is too stiff I can always remove them.  I actually made up one of the front dampening springs myself that was missing.  I used an old spring leaf and did a lot of grinding trying not to get things too hot.  Twenty ton press was enough to form the bends.  I used the same outfit you did for a replacement spring and they told me the same thing about not being able to make the dampening springs.  They do a great job and the turn around time is fantastic.