• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

acetone and atf

Started by Rusty, October 13, 2010, 08:38:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rusty

I read (saw) on that there was study of using acetone and atf (50/50 ratio) for penetrating oil.  I have never been impressed with any of the ones that you can buy.  I tried PB blaster, liquid wrench, kroil, hot candle wax (burnt my fingers), none worked unless left to sit for a few days.

I just a model A that is going to be steet rodded and I am need to pull the door hinges and trying to acetone/atf combo.  It sperates very easy and needs to be shaken a lot and I noticed that it drips alot.
I am soaking the pins for about a week before trying on removing them.  SInce the car is held together by wood (dry rotten wood), I am going to avoid the torch.

Has anyone tried this combo?

I just got my rad back from brass rad works so I plan on driving the U this weekend.

rusty

chetbrz

Rusty,

I haven't tried this combination but have used acetone to thin oil based paint for use in a spray gun.  My assumption would be that the acetone thins the lubricant so it can penetrate then the acetone evaporates leaving behind the lubricant.   Acetone evaporates very quickly so the treatment should be a quick working penetrating oil.   Actually when used as a paint spray thinner, I think it pretty much evaporates between the gun and the surface you are painting. (10% mixture ac to paint)

My 2 cents,  Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Doug

I have been useing it for a long time. It works as good as any penetrate I have ever used and it is cheep to make. Bit problem is it is very flammable

29plycoop

I haven't tried that mix.   Kroil and sometimes a little heat has worked well for me on many occasions.   If trying to remove a rusted bolt or screw, always turn it back and forth to start just to get the oil of choice into the threads.  Don't keep going in the same direction or it will lock up and break.  Happy Motoring!!! - Rich
Plymouth and inovation go hand in hand.

booah

Hi

We use a product at work called YIELD. Its great for turbine exhaust bolts.