• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

front lisence plate

Started by Rusty, October 27, 2010, 04:46:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rusty

I just installed a new rad from brass works.  I noticed that my liscense plate is mounted in the middle from the head light bar.  Would that make difference in cooling?  It is snowing currently and I am waiting on trying out the car.
rusty

chetbrz

Rusty,

I would think that the license plate is mounted far enough from the radiator to allow enough air to circulate around it.  Most cars of the era had the license plate mounted on the headlight bar. 

Keep us posted,  Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Rusty

She would start to boil over after 2 miles and complete boil over after 5 miles.  I had the rad checked twice.  Once by the 65 old guy who runs the rad shop and once by his 91 old dad who started the buisness after WW2.  Both said it was good.  I had it replaced by brass works with a 10 fin/inch modern style.  It was a lot cheaper and a modern design.  The old honey comb does look better.  I filled to the top and tried it out.  The temp today is a nice 38 as the high.  I drove 15 miles with no boiling over.  That is the longest I have ever driven the car.  I did place the liscense plate on the front bumper, could not hurt.    I was really having second thoughts on a thermal cooling concept.  It does really matter on the condition of the rad.  It starts without needing to retard the timing. 

Now need to retorque the head bolts. 

rusty

29plycoop

With a new radiator you should not have a problem because of the license plate.  I just boiled out my old radiator and have no problems with overheating.  One option I am keeping in mind is they put a new modern core in using your tanks and apply a simulated honeycomb core face about 1/2 inch thick on the front so it still looks original.  Unless you are going for a points show car this might be an option to look into.  Happy Motoring!!!! - Rich
Plymouth and inovation go hand in hand.