• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Plymouth Wire Wheels

Started by racertb, April 21, 2013, 11:20:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

racertb

All:

I found a fellow in Florida a couple of hours from me who says he has '30-31 Plymouth wire wheels.  I have seen the photos (I can try to post soon) and they look to be complete and all orignal and have the drums attached.  They are 19" wheels.

I was curious to know if these would fit the '29 and if they would be the correct optional wheel.  This is how they are described:

"I've come across a real nice set of four 30-31 Plymouth wheels.  They are just as I found them, unrestored, but in very good shape.  I think the spokes would all adjust if soaked a bit.  There is also a stamping on each one in the drop center that indicates they were made by FIRESTONE 6-31 and that they are 19 inch (fyi, also 3 inches wide)."

Please let me know any thoughts or concerns...thanks! 

racertb

racertb

Any idea on these wheels?  They're cheap, but I don't want to buy if they're not correct.

imoore

I can say for sure. I have been told that wire wheels was an option on our cars. Hopefully someone else may know.
Ian
1928 Q tourer (Holden bodied)
Several vintage stationary engine

Quote from: racertb on April 22, 2013, 11:06:30 PM
Any idea on these wheels?  They're cheap, but I don't want to buy if they're not correct.
I also live in Florida, I know of a set that I almost purchased long ago, I thought they were 29/30 Dodge DA wheels, they turned out to be 1930 DD wheels. I do not know if these are the same wheels, it has been a while, he lived about 2 or 2.5 hours ( maybe ) outside of Tampa, I remember him having his daughter drop off a trans to me locally here as she was just passing thru.

I have never owned a wire wheel car, do not care much for them, I do not know enough ( anything ) about Plymouth wire wheels to comment any further. I did however think that there were some particular body styles that Plymouth offered where wire wheels were standard.

Do you have a MPB? I have one and can maybe help further but I KNOW someone on here has the answer to your question but just has not commented yet.
Jason Anderson

Old Man

This is what the Plymouth Master Parts List says. For '28Q and '29U they share the same part numbers and descriptions for wire wheels. They all have "(with side ring)" (?) beside them. Then the next lines are for '30 30U wire wheels and ,besides the description, it says "(has 5 holes)" for 9 part numbers listed. They offered the wheels in 'prime' and 'enamel' etc. That's why so many part numbers for the same wheel. Then ,still in '30U, it gives more wire wheels with "(has 6 holes)". Then it leaves '30U and moves on to PAs. It appears these may be '30Us and not fit '29s?