• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Mystery Plymouth

Started by Bearings 46, March 27, 2014, 08:48:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bearings 46

I have a mystery and I need the help of this knowledgeable group to solve it! I've located a Plymouth that so far I have been unable to identify as to year and model. I have 2 1930 Plymouth 30Us (Sedan and RS Coupe) so I have been able to eliminate the 30U from the mix. Based on the steering wheel and emblem on the dash I believe it is either a 28 or 29 but here is the real mystery. I thought it might be a RS Roadster based on the top that drops but the car has fixed frames around doors! Does this look like it has been modified from a RS Coupe perhaps or was there a model that does not show up in the standard literature? Thanks for any and all insights!

imoore

Hi there nice find. I believe it is a 29. From what i have read 28 have a firewall mounted coil were as 29 have it mounted to back of switch.
28 have 20" wheels, 29 have 19"
If the radiator grill is there somewhere 28 say chrysler plymouth 29 say plymouth
Also thats spark plug wire tube is 29 28 had no bend

But you never know i could be wrong
Ian
1928 Q tourer (Holden bodied)
Several vintage stationary engine

chetbrz

Is the Fedco Serial Number Code readable from the dash emblem.  From this we can estimate the month & year of manufacture.

Could it be a Standard Coup rather than a Roadster ?  Do you plan to do anything with it.  It looks like it has been stripped for parts.
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Bearings 46

Thanks for your help in the identification on the year - I will need to do some additional digging on the tire size, Fedco plate, etc.

Chetbrz - your question about standard coupe rather than a roadster was where I started my questioning but the more I investigated the more confused I got! It has the coupe's top framing but then there is that top bow and canvas top that really adds a strange twist. I have some additional pictures I can post - header where windshield crank is located looks to be leather/canvas rather that the mohair material on my 30s.

The car is in an estate and while it looks to be stripped for parts it is merely disassembled with pretty much all parts accounted for. I have enough projects so this will not be coming home to live with me!

racertb

racertb

Also, my '29 has 20" wood wheels.

Old Man

It's a very rare 1928 or '29 DeLuxe coupe. ""The rumble seat was a standard feature of the DeLuxe coupe, which carried 4 passengers. Although looking like a convertible the top was not of the folding type. " The Plymouth And DeSoto Story

Bearings 46

Thank you to all that replied. I am going to have a chance to get some additional (and hopefully better quailty) pictures tomorrow. Will also check out grill shell, etc.

Bearings 46

OK - now that I have a better idea of what I am looking at - I am going with Sport Coupe - anyone want to venture an estimate on what the car is worth as it sits? No rust, wood is solid,  pretty much all parts accounted for - engine is there but have not checked to see if it is free. Only major piece I have not found (may be there under some stuff) is the radiator/shell.
Thanks!

imoore

If the engine is there this makes 28-29 identifiable.
A 28 engine has rounded cylinder head corners also a distributor that cones out on a 45deg also has large spark plugs. Engine number starting with a Q
A 29 engine has a square cylinder head and a distributor that goes straight up. Has 18mm spark plugs.  Engine number starting with a U
Ian
1928 Q tourer (Holden bodied)
Several vintage stationary engine

Old Man

Just curious. Where do you get "Sport Coupe"? The P+D history call them DeLuxe Coupes and even De Soto had the same model as a Cupe de Lujo (translated as Coupe DeLuxe.) I do not see Sport Coupe in '28,'29 or '30. 

Bearings 46

Old Man - my mistake - I guess now that I know what it is I should do a better job of editting myself!