• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

1930 30U Tires

Started by hursst, August 23, 2014, 08:07:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hursst

Hello,
  I'm looking into buying new tires for my 1930 30U roadster. Does anyone know the original type and manufacturer of the tires, out of curiosity?  What would be the most "correct" tire to purchase that is available currently?  What about the schrader valve style or type?  I have the Coker and Universal catalogs, and would like the make the most authentic choice for my car.  Thanks again for any advice.

-Chris

racertb

Chris:

I was told that Fisk was the original supplier and that Goodyear is a good choice if you can find them, which I doubt.  A lot of folks use/like Firestone, but they were the Ford supplier.

I replaced my tires, tubes, flaps and wheel hardware a couple years ago and bought through Universal.  My '29 has 20" wheels/tires and I went with Lester blackwalls and used nickel valve stems in lieu of plain rubber valve stems/shrader valves.  I have a photo of a '29 coming off the assembly line and although it's not 100% clear, it looks like there is more than a rubber valve stem/shrader valve being used.  I'm sure this is debatable, but it really looks sharp and you don't have to worry about the valve shifting it's position.

Ted

chetbrz

Jim Benjaminson sells Goodyear Collector Series tires and he is also the Plymouth Owner's Club national secretary.   He would also have all the correct info for your particular car. you can reach him at: 

benji@utma.com
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

hursst

Thank you for your replies!

Old Man

All Chrysler vehicles had Goodyear Diamond Tread tires for decades. Right from 1924. I don't know when they finally changed but I believe the factory was still installing Diamond Treads up to WWII. Chrysler vehicles were known for their Goodyear Diamond Treads. If you look at any original factory photos of any Chrysler car or truck you'll see Diamond Treads on it. You can see the diamond shape going up the side wall of the tire for a couple of inches. And 99.9% of Chrysler vehicles,Imperials included, came with blackwalls. 

hursst

Thanks again for your reply.  Haven't been able to find any repros of these, but good to know. Jim Benjaminson doesnt have my size.  Yes, I'll be switching from white walls to blackwalls, so probably going with whatever the closest choice is from Universal Vintage Tire Co.

Old Man

I have had very good luck,20 years and more, with Coker Commanders in 16".

racertb

Hursst - here's a couple photos of the Lester's from Universal and the factory photo of a '29 Roadster: