• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Wiper Motor Switch vs. Dash Light Switch

Started by hursst, October 17, 2014, 06:30:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hursst

Thank you to Doug, who already gave me a photo and an answer to my question, but I still have some follow-on questions.  I have a 30U Sport Roadster.

I'm doing more research on the 2 small holes and 1 slightly larger hole I have under the lower left of my dash board (see 1st photo).  These holes fit for a dash gauge light switch perfectly.  I've seen a '31 Roadster with this light switch and a junk dash board at Hershey from a '29 Coupe with this light switch in the same position as well (see 2nd and 3rd photos).  I purchased this junk switch and it does fit perfectly in my car.  My car currently has the dash gauge lights wired into the headlight switch, however, and I see no reference to this switch in the 1930 First Edition owner's manual.  I do not have access to a later edition.  I do see this switch in the 5th edition 1929 owner's manual, though.

On the other hand, I've now had two other knowledgable people tell me that these holes would be for the vacuum wiper off/on switch.  This is the switch in the photo that Doug gave me in the "Items wanted" section, but it does not appear to fit the holes I have in my dash, as the switch above appears to just screw into one hole and does not have the two accompanying screw holes for which to secure it.  In fact, I found what was advertised as a '31 Dodge (I believe), at Hershey that has both switches (4th photo) which confuses me even more.

So, my question to anyone who may have an answer is:

1) What should go in the 3 holes in the first photo (my 30U roadster).  The answer could be "nothing," the "dash light switch," or the "vacuum switch."  If it is the vacuum wiper switch, why do I have 3 holes available, but the vacuum wiper switch appears to only need 1 (see 4th photo)?  Is it possible that on a late-production 30U Roadster, it could be that there was no separate vacuum wiper switch and it was simply on the wiper motor itself, AND the dash board light switch was not offered and the wiring was simply attached to the headlight switch? 

Thank you for any ideas on this, as I'm quite confused at this point.  Sorry for the lengthy posting.

Doug

Here are my switches. This is an early 30 U sedan. I have no doubt. That is not the original switch. I do not know what the small holes were for other than to secure the switch with screws vs the nut. 

hursst

Doug,
  Thanks again for your reply.  I'm starting to assume that my car never had either the dash light switch or the wiper motor switch, originally.  There is no hole whatsoever for a wiper switch in my car, and there is no evidence of a dash light switch being in my car, considering the current wiring siuation and the lack of this switch being mentioned in the wiring diagram.  I think I'll just leave my car as is unless I get additional documentation or new evidence.  Thank you once again, this is very helpful.

-Chris

Doug

I didn't mention. My switch is connected to the dome light. I think this is correct as there is know need to control the dash lights separately from the running lights. So with a soft top you  wouldn't have a dome light. could explane why you have only the one hole. I have that 29 wiring diagram and it shows the dome light switch in the light. My light doesn't have a switch so this works for me. I have seen to other 30s wired the same way. This wouldn't explane why you have the hole apparently for an electric switch and no mole for the wiper.

Gary 30U

I checked the Master Parts Book - for all Prior to 1934 and it lists two different Wiper Motors, one for Closed cars i.e Coupes and sedans (part number 79544) and one for open bodied cars (part number 43704) i.e. for phaeton and roadster. I believe that the closed body cars had the control knob under the dash, and the open bodied cars had the control as part of the wiper motor itself.

Check with Ficken Wiper Service, West Babylon, NY. 631-587-3332, or Kent Jaquith, Redmond, OR. 541-923-4319. they should be able to give you good info. Kent rebuilt the original for my 30U Coupe when everyone told me that there were no good ones as they all distorted (pot metal).

Just a bit of infor, the early ones had two screws holding on the cover, and the later ones (1931) the cover just clipped on. Sorry I can't recall the numbers, but Kent could tell you.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Happy Motoring,
Gary R.

hursst

Gary & Doug,
   I think this answers all my questions, thank you kindly for the answers.  So, it looks like ALL 30Us have the 3 holes for the dash light/dome light switch, but only cars with a dome light got it installed (unless we hear otherwise).  However, this doesn't explain the '31 Roadster I saw at Hershey last week that had the switch the controlled the dash lights (the owner demonstrated it for me). I guess '31 may have been different.

It also looks like open cars did not have the wiper switch on the dash but closed cars did.  This makes the most sense to me.

Thank you for the part numbers and I'll be searching for that wiper motor for the open cars. 

Regards,
Chris

racertb

My '29 roadster has the control on the motor itself and a single toggle switch under the dash for the dash lights.

hursst

Thanks for the reply.  I see the switch on the '29 wiring diagram (labelled #26 on the wiring diagram and called "instrument lamp switch)" so this makes sense for '29.  Still not 100% sure about the dash lamp switch for 30U's, but now pretty sure that all roadsters had the wiper switch on the wiper motor itself.

Anyone have a '30U roadster with the "instrument lamp switch?"

Thanks again.

imoore

My 28 is the same as racerb. dash light switch under dash panel.
Mines a tourer

Ian
1928 Q tourer (Holden bodied)
Several vintage stationary engine

Old Man

This should answer some of the questions. The dome light is integral with the light itself. The dash lights are switched by a toggle which I believe is the one on the lower dash lip with the 3 holes,two for mounting and one for the switch stalk. You can see the dome light at the bottom with the switch in it and the dash light toggle up above it in the schematic.  I did notice in some of my documentation that the wiper control valve is always on the lower right dash lip but the dash light switch does not appear until '31 PA. however I don't trust Chrysler as far as I can throw them and I suspect the holes were always there waiting for 1931 to have the switch installed. They did a lot of this in the early cars. (The oval rear window of the '31 PA can be in your late '30U right from the factory.) So I suspect the switch was not installed until '31 PA but the holes were there. The wiper valve was always there beside the holes until '31 PA when it went up on the header board where it remained for several model years. Yes,no,maybe?     

Doug

Just looking through the master parts book, It shows the dash light switch for Q&U, no switch for 30U then it is back in the PA&PB. I have the same diagram Old Man shows but my dome light has no switch on it. The first and second owner did very little to the car but kept it running. the third owner repainted ans upholster it but kept the same dome light.

hursst

Doug, that goes along with the theory that my car (a 30U) did not have the dash light switch installed, but was hardwired into the headlight switch, as I've now heard from '28 and '29 owners that they have it, and I saw the '31 owner at Hershey who had it, but no one has chimed in with a 30U roadster/convertible yet.

As always, thank you for the information.