• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Early plymouth keys

Started by 1930, January 27, 2013, 07:57:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hey guys, I am hoping that someone here can tell me what was the shape of the ORIGINAL key heads that would have operated your early Plymouth's.

For instance did the ignition originally use a hex shaped key head, maybe the door locks used round and so what did your spare tire locks use or maybe spare tire locks were not issued with your Plymouth's if your cars had side-mounts.

By early Plymouth I am interested mainly 28-30 or so although I would love to hear what any year used right on up until the mid thirties. Thanks
Jason Anderson

Old Man

This is an original '29U ignition key. I found 2 other keys from the 30s. One is an original '33 Plymouth door key and the other is an 'original' '35 Dodge truck ignition key. Not sure about the Dodge key's heritage. And I seem to remember my'31 PA had these same size and shape keys. It would appear early Chrysler Corp. keys were round originally?

Quote from: Old Man on January 27, 2013, 12:02:30 PM
This is an original '29U ignition key. I found 2 other keys from the 30s. One is an original '33 Plymouth door key and the other is an 'original' '35 Dodge truck ignition key. Not sure about the Dodge key's heritage. And I seem to remember my'31 PA had these same size and shape keys. It would appear early Chrysler Corp. keys were round originally?
Thanks, cannot read the key, wont let me enlarge, is it Basco? The 29 I mean
Jason Anderson

Old Man

The '29 has a capital 'D' inside a diamond on one side and H700 on the other. The '33 says U122. The 'U' being kind of a Chrysler give away. The '35 Dodge I think is a replacement for a lost key at some time. But you would think the locksmith would replace it with the same 'kind'/'shape' etc? So I assume it is a good copy of the original. I remember all the GMs I've ever had or driven from 1958 on (My Dad's '58 Olds Super 88) had the 'hexagonal' shape to the 'handle' you mention. I remember it being a kind of GM trait.  

Quote from: Old Man on January 27, 2013, 04:12:50 PM
The '29 has a capital 'D' inside a diamond on one side and H700 on the other. The '33 says U122. The 'U' being kind of a Chrysler give away. The '35 Dodge I think is a replacement for a lost key at some time. But you would think the locksmith would replace it with the same 'kind'/'shape' etc? So I assume it is a good copy of the original. I remember all the GMs I've ever had or driven from 1958 on (My Dad's '58 Olds Super 88) had the 'hexagonal' shape to the 'handle' you mention. I remember it being a kind of GM trait.  
Thanks, just to verify, Plymouth did use the N.E coil behind ignition lock assy unit 28/29 maybe 30 correct. I think it was sometime in 30 that they went with the Delco?
Jason Anderson

Old Man

'28,'29 and 30U had the ignition lock/switch built into the bottom of the coil. '31 PA had the 1st Chrysler company style coil mounted on and through the firewall with an armored cable going from the dash switch to the rear of the coil. Sorry I don't know my manufacturers.   

Quote from: Old Man on January 28, 2013, 08:05:28 AM
'28,'29 and 30U had the ignition lock/switch built into the bottom of the coil. '31 PA had the 1st Chrysler company style coil mounted on and through the firewall with an armored cable going from the dash switch to the rear of the coil. Sorry I don't know my manufacturers.   
Thanks again, I am sure it was N.E
Jason Anderson