• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Choke, Spark Control & Ignition Printing

Started by frankp, July 23, 2018, 07:17:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frankp

Well, put the wraps on the Spark Control knob today.  They aren't perfect, but they will have to do for now.  Leave tomorrow for Detroit.
frank p

Crazydave

Have a good trip, give us a few updates.

Should be an adventure (hopefully in a good way) driving an 89 year old car 3 states to the east.....

chetbrz

Ditto,

Quite an adventure.  Frank please provide updates.  Have a safe and uneventful trip.

PS.., Dash looks great.
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

frankp

well, finally in a Milwaukee motel at 9 pm.

Most of trip with no generator.  Tonight, found the connector on the wire from gen to ammeter broken.  Hope to repair tomorrow am before getting on ferry.  Lights quit too!  Jockyed the fuse a bit and now they work!?  Don't know why so this isn't fixed.

At least there were no mechanical issues.  Hope this doesn't jink me.

more later.   Thanks for asking
frank p

Articifer Tom

It has been found by myself and others . That connection between fuse holder end and brass bus into gage and screw is riveted and loosens . Most clean and rosin good and soldier connection . Use heat sinks and disconnect from vehicle .

frankp

Generator fried - solder in armature melted.  Cause?

Will borrow a generator from a '28 to get home.
frank p

Articifer Tom

I understand that generator voltage output is regulate or maybe should say kept in check by it's connection to the battery as a sink . So if the wire between is open volt will go crazy maybe to 40 volts and cause overheating anywhere including in armature . Armature are replaceable check ebay .

chetbrz

Hi Frank,

Sorry to hear about your misfortune.  Don't forget about Polarizing the Generator if disconnected from battery.  Haven't done this myself but ask at the meet or check the tech section of this web.  My generator did the same thing and I had it completely rebuilt and the wiring rewound, cost around $300.00.

Maybe while you are at the meet you could inquire if anyone knows of a solution for a pressure plate on the Q & U.  As you know parts are just not readily available.

Tks Chet.., and good luck to you also...

http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Crazydave

Frank,

How is the show? Are you thumbing your way back home?

frankp

Dave,

Been awhile since last update.  Left Novi, Mi Sunday , 7/29, 7:30 am and home Monday, 7/30, 4:45 pm.  Used a loaner generator/cut-out from a '28 Touring to get home.  Sent back home to Ohio today.

631 miles out; 583 back.  Did i say we got lost a little on the way (and on the return, just not as much)?  One picturesque detour was a WI state park for camping.  One way road in and out; no chance to back up.  Double yellow lines steered me right to the entrance!  Wasn't expecting to take a ferry across a lake in the middle of WI either.

Drove about 4 miles to show in Northville on battery power.  Around 98 Plymouths there - some beautiful cars.  5 '28s; one original 4dr.  Only thing new was the paint.  Upholstery had no moth/mouse holes, original top was in great shape.  Interestingly, the engine head was blue as was the car.  Unfortunately it had to be taken to the show on a trailer.  Another 4dr from Canada, Roadster from Delaware, Touring from Ohio, and Bill's and his grandson's Zachary Business Coupe from Ohio.  Most '28s I've ever seen in one spot.  My 29, a beautiful cream/ivory PA Roadster and gorgeous dark blue PB Convertible Coupe, I believe.

Somehow, I was given a 2nd place in the Class 1 Group, 1928 - 1939.  I don't know if the car was worthy, but the judges decided and there was absolutely no collusion!

Catching up on home maintenance now.  Need to track down a good generator re-builder and a cut-out.  I suppose the roadster could be a parts car.

Chet, no word on a pressure plate, but will keep asking.  Any luck on your end?  One behavior you wouldn't approve;  hit up to 58 mph several times, but mostly below 50.  Mechanically, the car was fine.  Used 2.5 qts oil and added coolant.  The lights quit working and the distributor oiler fell out on the way, but those are other stories.
frank p

chetbrz

Great job Frank and congratulations on the #2 spot.

Very impressive.  Will send an update on my quest just to hard to type on this cell phone

Chet.

Articifer Tom

Great report Frank ! Sound like good time , will we see any pics ?