• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Satillite70 did you pick up your car yet ?

Started by chetbrz, April 09, 2008, 02:23:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chetbrz

Chris,

It's been close to two weeks and I believe you said you would be picking up your new old car soon.  Maybe you will have it home for the up coming weekend.   Well in any event keep us posted. 

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Satillite70

Yes I brought her home on Sunday April 13th!  An overcast day we managed to haul her on a flat deck trailer with nylon straps in between the rain showers.  I've started working on her, took off the drivers side rear fender, which was worst of all, and have is pretty much straightened out.  I'm not going for 100% this trip round, more interested in functionality and stand-off appearance.  Next year I might go further, or perhaps not.  The fender had some really bad kinks, and still has some nasty torch welded lumpy welds that will need to be ground down and sanded out.  Anyway one fender at a time till I get some advice on how to take the wheels off!

chetbrz

Nice car,  Congratulations. 

Just an FYI because I know you are working on your brakes.  The front wheels should come off without much effort unless the shoes are rusted to the rims.  The rear wheels are not as easy.  The hubs are on a tapered shaft and suffer from taper lock. 

If you go to the link below, this was a post I started on the POC Forum.  It has a lot of info on the subject. 

http://plymouthbulletin.com/smf/index.php?topic=1137.0

Good Luck,  Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Satillite70

Thanks Chet.  I have applied to join the POC fourm so I can view the photos and post, etc.  I see a number of pullers on ebay, but I'm not sure on the thread size.

Chris

Satillite70

Update

I have removed the entire driver's side fender/running board.  The rear fender has been straightened and painted, as well as the running board.  I have cleaned an polished the three remaining trim peices and cut the rubber mat to fit the runnig board.  I found it interesting that the original rivets holding on the trim were made of brass.  I saved a couple as reference in case I want to go that route someday.  The hang-up is I can't find my rivet gun and I had to order a piece of aluminum stair nosing for a replacement of the missing outer-edge aluminum piece.

So on I went to the front fender, and I was pleasantly suprised at how well it turned out, considering the sharp creases in the metal and twisted lip.  I still have to weld up the cracks and grind/sand them out, but at lease it's straight.  I also removed, straightened and primed the front valance piece that wraps around under the rad/frame rails.

I have found that turtle wax polishing compound brings out the best color and shine in the paint, leaving virtually no marks behind.  I will use this on the entire body then wax with mothers carnuba wax.

The car was also given it's first bath in many, many years!  It was amazing to see the difference from arrival, to wash and then polishing compound... But the top really showed off, it's virtually spotless.  I used a nylon scrub brush and scrubbed down the groves in the roof with the help of a ladder and my aunt dipping it in the bucket for me.  She's always such a great help to me I truely don't acknowledge her enough.  After cleaning and drying I gave the roof a wipe down with mothers interior protectant, the stuff with that wonderful cherry smell.

Chris

Doug

If you don't mined, post a picture of your battery box. the bottom is missing out of mine. Someone befor me pached it up but I want to redo it. Thanks

Satillite70

Hi Doug,
   I'll post some photos by this weekend.  I have been progressively working my way into to guts of the car from the outside in.  The interior is coming out next and will be sent out sometime next week to the upholsterer if all goes well.  I breifly took a crawl under and looked at the battery "box" if you can call it that... and it has been reinforced with a couple old licence plates laid in there!  The original metal is there, but it's thin in the front corners, probably where acid ate away at it.  The support is one piece and the top end of the "U" shape appear to be rivited on.  It's more of a cradle than an enclosed box.

Chris

Gary

WOW........Nice job on the top............The running boards look outstanding...........

Gary.......

Satillite70

Ok here's the photos of the battery cradle, note the old plates lying off to the left in one photo, that are fastened together and laid in there to reinforce it.

Chris

Satillite70

Update on the 28...
    Freont drivers side fender has been straightened and cleaned, coat of primer and one coat of black paint so far.  The body polishing is moving along slowly, with most of the driver's side done, waxing to be done once the car is going back together.  Rear wheels have been removed and the rear brake shoes look good, plan here is to clean it up and then rebuild the wheel cylinder.

Rebuild kits have arrived for the master cylinder and wheel cylinders, as well as the brake lines and ignition kit.  The ignition kit is still in the original cardboard packages, like vintage 1930's!  The best part is that I had a closer looks at the ignition, and I don;t think any of it needs replacing, though I'll find out shortly.

The seats have come out, and I am close to choosing the fabric from the samples the upholsterer provided, although the one I am looking at costs $46 a yard, is this too much or cheap???  I am also torn between a blue color I like and one that is very close to the original although I am leaning to the original looking color.  I found it interesting that the bottom of my front seat is covered in a corduroy material and the back portion in something else [appears to possibly be the similar to, or the same as the rest of interior], while the back seat appears to be exactly the same as the rest of the interior panels.  If this front seat was ever reupholstered they did it in such a way that I cannot tell.  Another thing of note to anyone restoring the interior is that the pockets in the door panels are not consistant, in that there is one on the rear door on the drivers side, and one of the front door of the passenger's side.  This to me seems very strange, I would think that only the rear or all four should have the pockets.  Either way it will be restored back to this same alternate pattern when I do it!

The other minor item I noted is the screws holding the back portion of the front seat, one was robertson the other flat.  The top was robertson, the lower was flat and larger and silver, perhaps even plated.  I will have to look again.  The wooden panels [covered with cloth] covering this did not appear to have been disturbed.  Robertson and Flat headed screws in the wooden body-structure and floor seem to be almost interchangeable!  Is this an interesting Canadian only twist on the first year Plymouths???  The list members in the US and Australia, what did you find as far as types of screws?  Phillips or Robertson anywhere at all?  Are most or all flat head?

Another thing is two pieces found in the back, one is a piece of metal with a round and a square hole in it that appears to been nailed on and the other is a piece of wood [approx 1.5"x5"x30-36"] with angled cuts on the ends.  I am at a loss as to where these belong in the car, if at all.  The metal surely appears to have been off the car, the wood, I'm not certain on, though it is also very old.  Ideas?

I briefly put the battery in, and it was reading "discharge" on the ampmeter... I did hook it up Positive Ground... but nothing worked.  I noted a place for a glass fuse under the dash, I think it was behind the ampmeter.  I turner the key a 6th of a turn to the "ignition" position and got the ampmeter reading, but nothing else worked.  I did not have a good battery connection, and one of the old battery cable ende broke as I put it on.  Perhaps this was all that was wrong?  Suggestions?  I was hoping for a kick out of the starter, or a honk for the horn...

I am pumped to get the motor going now, although I think I will get at the wheels next.

Chris

chetbrz

Chris,

A lot of the questions you are asking might be better answered on the POC Board.  The Plymouth Owners Club strives for strict reproduction to original factory specs.   After near 80 years it is pretty difficult to determine what was truly original in that a reupholstery which was done in 1948 will look pretty damn original in 2008.

As far as screws go Phillips wasn't patented until 1930 so they are definitely not original. Robertson Screws are possible in that they were patented in 1908 and used in the early Modal T Fords.  I don't know if Chrysler used them but he might have in that he did at one time work for Mr. Ford.

As far as the door pouches go I have them on both front doors.  For the life of me I can't remember if the rear doors have pouches.   I would suspect not since the rear seat is so far back in the 4 door sedan that I would think the pouch would be impractical but I'm probably incorrect.   Right now my car is in a storage facility so I can't check for you.  (No room at the Inn.)

The floor is interesting.  I was told that the floor in the 28 & 29 Plymouth was originally plywood.  Yours appears to be tong & groove hardwood.   Is this correct?  Mine also has tong & groove wood but I am sure that mine it is not original flooring.   Some Ya-Hoo nailed it in and also used drywall screws everywhere.  I may not subscribe to struck originality but drywall screws are just WRONG.

Have fun, your work is looking good, Chet...

Doug

Looks like your doing a great job on the car. Thanks for the pictures of your battery box. You will need a fuse in the back of the amp meter before electricity will go to the rest of the car. Be carful and prepaired to disconnect the battery if you see any smoke.

Satillite70

Chet,
    I think there is possibly one piece of Plywood under the front seat, the rest is all tongue and groove Oak[?].  I painted another coat on the front driver fender and it looks great, really happy.  Tomorrow night I am going to look at some more fabrics and make a decision and run with it.  I think I will go with a different pattern on the bottom, and replicate what I have, may or may not be original, but it seems to match the rest of the interior if you know what I mean.

Door pockets I am thinking that someone at the plant might have messed up and cut one to fit on the rear door, and let it go rather than cut another for the front with a pocket.

Doug, thanks I'll put in a 10 amp fuse and work up from there, no need to fry anything, fuses are cheap.  Glad the pics of the battery box were useful/helpful.

Back to work on her tomorrow evening, I should have the Pass side fenders off by Thursday and paint on at least one or two by the weekend, as they are in alot better shape than the drivers side.

The batteries are dead in the digital camera, I'll charge them, up tonight and take some more pics.  I started to creat a website for the car, but have decided that reality is more important than cyberspace, at least till I have the car a little further along.

I really appreciate all the input from this list, and I'm very glad I joined!

Cheers,
    Chris

Satillite70

Thinking of Paint - One thing I forgot to mention is that as I was polishing the car I noted a number of areas that the original paint was not lined up exactly with the body lines.  Example: the black on the body "molding" or line is not matched exactly to the curve at the rear of the body.  Another spot of over spray black is on the pass side up near the front window.  I'll try to get a couple photos.  I am liking the idea more and more of leaving the 80 year old paint alone, it's got a few little things like this that make it a good conversation piece and good for reference to show that things were's perfect, although some show cars might be darn close to perfect.  I like it to be slightly imperfect, as all things in the real world seem to be! ;)

Cheers,
    Chris