• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Going from bad to worse... :(

Started by crelledge, July 15, 2020, 09:22:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crelledge

Well after a brief few days where the car was actually driving, we now have a growing problem on the 30U. After the oil pump siezed and sheared off some teeth on the cam timing gear, we took the front cover off to see if we could replace the gear. So far, so good.

Everything in front of the actual gear itself came off no problem, but the gear itself was STUCK. We tried using several different pullers, and the thing would not budge. Tom Hannaford, who we bought the replacement gear from, told me that over time the timing gear can torque itself into the aligning key and create a bind, so we tried tapping the gear backwards to release the tension but still nothing. So, we decided to just pull the whole camshaft out and have a machine shop do it with an arbor press.

Took off the head, fuel pump, oil pump, intake, exhaust, and valve cover. Turned the engine over and wedged the valves open with wooden wedges, and held the lifters up with clothespins. Undid the two bolts on the flange behind the gear. Took off the little copper oil line in there as well. I was under the impression that the cam should be relatively loose in there now and, with some careful fiddling, would just pull out. But this thing WILL NOT move. It turns, but won't go forward or back. I even tried tapping a wedge between the block and the flange and it moved it maybe 2mm forward, then broke off the top bolt hole of the cast iron flange.

Anyone have any ideas as to what's going on?? How do I get this dang thing out??

chetbrz

I didn't do the motor work to my engine so I can't offer any words of wisdom but I have attached a picture of the cam shaft for my 29U engine maybe it might help you.  Are you sure which direction the cam needs to move to be removed and what locks it into position.
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

chetbrz

http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member