• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Rebuilt oil pump

Started by Rusty, February 07, 2016, 04:37:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rusty

I had my oil pump rebuilt about 2 years ago during the engine rebuild.  It has a total of 200 miles.  The oil pump shaft broke and caused the cast iron housing to brake.  I found a spare engine strip for parts and got a good oil pump core.  I plan to pull the "fingers" from the rebuilt pump and use them in the parts engine core.  The question I have is, should I hone the housing or not?  The fingers you can see in the photo are not sharp but well rounded, so it must have some wear on it.

Rusty

How is the drive gear held on?  Is it will a roll pin or just the nut?

Rusty

I broke off the T brass fitting on the top of pump.  The one that goes to the vacuum canister.

Rusty

I drilled out he fitting and then used a easy out

Rusty

Rusty

I removed the nut with a cordless impact wrench.  The gear is held on by a slotted key way.  A puller and some heat and the gear came off.

Rusty

Rusty

The inside of the cast iron housing was very smooth.  I did hone with a brake hone to break up some of the glaze.  I then noticed that the cover plate is difference between the two.  Both interchange sort of.  One is a smaller plate and you can see how it does not fit the housing completely.  They both will work for a oil pump.  The cover plates are different.  I figure one is 29 other is ????

Rusty

Cast iron case is larger.  It will work as a function oil pump.

chetbrz

Hi Rusty,

It's been quite a while since I took one of these pumps apart.    I have not tried to take the gear off.  I would have thought that a scroll pin or something would be holding the gear on.  I guess it is press fitted.

I don't recall the fingers your photo is showing.  I know the steel eccentric is the impeller for the pump and vacuum.  The fingers might help provide a cavity seal.  As for the two covers the screw alignment looks the same.., how about the other side of the plate ?  I wouldn't horn the chamber just clean it.  Horning might make the pump less effective.

My 2 cents.  Thanks for all the photos,

PS... Nice work.  You always come up with a creative way to fix a mechanical issue.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member