• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

29 Plymouth Hubcaps

Started by 29UJohn, February 10, 2017, 10:21:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

29UJohn

I am trying to get Vintage Restorations to make hubcaps for the 29 Plymouth with wood wheels.  I need to know if mine are correct.  My rear hubcaps have the octagon shape under the cap.  However, the front hubcaps do not, they are round.  Is this correct?
John
1929U 4 Dr

chetbrz

John,

The Master Parts list shows the following:
1928Q to US-GP725H Part Number 44816  Qty 4 per car.
1929U from US-GP725H to 30U 1558573 With wood wheels as Part# 311781 Qty 4 per car.

(Curious the description says "Wheel Hub Cap (front) (wood wheel) but shows Qty 4 and no alternate part number for a rear wheel before 30U SN: 1558573

After 30U 1558573

Front part number 322824 Qty 2 per car
Rear  part number 323830 Qty 2 per car

My guess is that they were all round after US Car GP725H and Canadian Built GP732D up to 30U 1558573 where the Master Parts List shows a different front #322824 and rear 323830

My 29 has on it now 3 round Hub caps without the hex wrench octagon shape.   Also I think the octagon shape hubcap came from some 30U wheels that I picked up a year or so ago.  (Never noted the cap difference) Since I used one of these hubcaps from the 30U I probably added the hex cap.  So this is why I probably have 3 round and one hex.

I hope this and other replies will nail the question down,  Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

29UJohn

Chet,
Thanks!
If there was only one style hubcap for 29U, I think it is the one with the octagon lands. Please see the attached PDF Spotlight Sketch of a 29U that shows the octagon hubcap.
The 28Q cap is smaller and much different, and the 30U caps had a different face.

The 29U caps are still a puzzle to me.  Where did my two round base caps come from?

All those with 29Us - what do your caps look like?
John
John
1929U 4 Dr

chetbrz

John,

I am totally not sure at this point.  I know the 1928 had different caps so we can rule them out.  I seem to have 4 of each of the caps you are talking about.  The four without the octagon were originally on my car and the four with the octagon came from a purchase of 19" wheels from a 30U.  I also have 4 of the new style 30U caps.

I am totally confused at this point.  I know Walter P used items to depletion.  My 29U was manufactured early in 1929 probably no later than March so the round hubs might be correct for my car ???  Will take a peek at the production numbers ??

Another mystery ?  Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

29UJohn

My 29U was built in May of 29 and has two of each.  Maybe they were switching to the Octagon ones about that time. A mystery.

If I can get them remade, I will need confirmed orders of 16 in initially (4 sets). At this point I would go with the Octagon style.
John
1929U 4 Dr

Doug

I have an early 30U. I am the forth owner. First two owners just kept it running, third owner painted and upholsterer it new tires, some other miner changes. I have two smooth caps and two hexed. 

frankp

From the "Plymouth Bulletin" No. 132, Jan-Feb 1982.  I've always understood the '29 had the "hex" on the inside and the 30U was smooth without the hex.  Otherwise, they appeared the same size and identical script (Old English?) P.  The parts list can be confusing at times and occasionally wrong.

frank p

Crazydave

Let me add to the confusion. My 29U with the 20" wheels, has 4 (2 damaged) of the smooth style.

And I picked up a rear end from a 31 for parts, and it had a hex style on it.

racertb

Mine are the non-smooth, hex style like in the pic Frank provided (for what it's worth).

chetbrz

LOL  is anything straight forward with these cars ?

Rusty

All four of my 29 are smooth (non hex)

29UJohn

Interesting. At this point, it seems the smooth are winning ( more prevalent.)
John
1929U 4 Dr