• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Wood Wheel Paint?

Started by Gary 30U, August 03, 2011, 08:21:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary 30U

I know some of you have had to make this decision before, but the question is who likes (or dislikes) what kind of paint?

One of my wheels is in really bad shape, and the spokes in another are starting to wear, so it is time to start thinking about redoing all of them. There is a fellow here locally, Jim Kanne, that makes and installs replacement spokes, But he is a little e xpensive and requires a lot of time.

I want to know what is the best paint and primer to use. Should the rim be painted first before installing the spokes, maybe powder coated?

Who is another good refurbisher for these wheels? Maybe someone is less expensive than Jim.

Gary

Tinkeys

Hi Gary !!
The wheel I did for my sedan was done in 2 pack paint, rim was painted while spokes were out getting a coat of 2 pack high fill on wood and rim seperatly . I am very happy with finish of spokes which are still original and I personally did not want clear look on wood for my application. It will be a different story if you require natural look on old timber.

Gary 30U

Hi tony, My wheels will be like yours, except that the steel fellow is/was the same color as the spokes.
The outer rim with tire i had powder coated black.

Love your choice of Italian Cream for your wheels, looks great.

Gary

Tinkeys

Hi Gary !
Think it's best to paint wheels separate the wooden spokes you will end up with a better finish and when same spokes go back if there good condition they will be a little tighter, There are no signs cracks on my spokes yet still have 3 more wheels to do !