• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

30I Wheel Color

Started by Bearings 46, February 09, 2008, 01:10:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bearings 46

Hello to All:

The wheel color for the 30U with wood wheeks has always been a bit if a mystery to me. I bought my 1930 30U sedan in 1980. The car has 33,000 original miles but I believe the car was repainted when the original owner traded or sold the car to a dealer in 1953 (I have the inventory ticket showing a valuation of $360!). The car is painted a dark blue - both body and fenders (I have also been told that it was an option to have the body and fenders the same color - in this case it may have been the easiest way for the dealer to refresh the paint which is actually quiote good). The wheels were painted to match the pinstriping which is a soft yellow. I was told many years ago that the wood wheels should be the same color as the body of the car. I refinished one of the wheels and found no evidence of anything but the yellow paint.

My 1930 RS Coupe was restored in the mid-80's and the wheels are natural so I have no real reference from that car which is Crown Maroon w?black fenders.

Can anyone enlighten me on this?  Many thanks.

Rich

mopardave

when my Model Q was restored, there was extensive research on this.  My fenders also match the body instead of being black.  When the fenders were stripped, we only found evidence of the body color, no black.  As for the wheels, mine were refinished natural, but there was evidence on them being black at one time.
All Plymouths: 1928 Q; 1951 P-23; 1966 Sport Fury Convertible; 1975 (Space) Duster; 1999 Prowler

Bearings 46

Very interesting - thanks for sharing the information. I think it is very interesting that your Q had evidence of black on the wheels when they were redone coupled with the fact that there was never any black on the car! The mystery deepens!
Thanks.

Rich