• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Dave's 1929 U Resto project

Started by Crazydave, November 04, 2013, 02:42:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

racertb

Thanks for posting your progress and photos.  I enjoy following this thread.

Ted

Crazydave

Thanks. Hope it helps some guys out, or at least makes them less afraid to tackle something they where reluctant to take on.

29plycoop

Dave- keep up the great work. Will be waiting for your thread with photos when time permits. Enjoy the adventure.  Happy Motoring! - Rich
Plymouth and inovation go hand in hand.

chetbrz

Hi Dave,

Nice work and pictures.    Thanks for posting,   Chet...    :)
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

racertb

Dave:

I have a question regarding your replicated distributor drive housing.  Can you tell me, or do you remember, how much play (if any) there was with the drive gear?  Is it in the housing fairly flush and no "back and forth" play?

The reason I'm asking is that my timing keeps jumping and I believe my problem lies in the play with my distributor drive and/or my distributor.  I think it's more my drive play, which is about 1/16" which allows the drive to move back and forth.  I believe if I close this gap with a shim or two, it might help and keep the drive in one position while turning freely.

Please let me know if you can.

Ted

Crazydave

It's funny you bumped this thread today, I was just getting ready to revive it.

If you look at the first picture on the first page of this thread, you will see I have a distributor that is a mirror image of the one the 29's use and it is in very good shape. I will dig it out and check that one. I also plan on pulling the one I had made soon, to see how its doing, check for wear etc. We can reference that as well.

Quote from: racertb on February 07, 2015, 04:44:05 PM
Dave:

I have a question regarding your replicated distributor drive housing.  Can you tell me, or do you remember, how much play (if any) there was with the drive gear?  Is it in the housing fairly flush and no "back and forth" play?

The reason I'm asking is that my timing keeps jumping and I believe my problem lies in the play with my distributor drive and/or my distributor.  I think it's more my drive play, which is about 1/16" which allows the drive to move back and forth.  I believe if I close this gap with a shim or two, it might help and keep the drive in one position while turning freely.

Please let me know if you can.

Ted

racertb

Thanks, let me know as soon as you have a chance to look at it.  The housing drive play is my concern, although my distributor has a little axial/vertical play as well.  I'm working on mine this week.  It's ironic that I too have a spare distributor from a '28 for parts with the gear that is opposite of the '29.

If you have a chance, take a look at my thread "Time to get into the motor" to see what I'm having problems with.

Ted

Crazydave

Ok, time to try and get this thread up to speed. It will be tough to remember all the details, but lots of pictures should tell the story. I went back and fixed the broken links on the previous pages as well.

Resolution on the pinion gear retainer. After seeing how difficult it is to deal with that old pot, I decided I didn't even want to deal with it again. Especially on a piece that no one will see. Answer is below. Thanks goes to Frank again for loaning me his broken one, (which is far less trashed than mine) for a pattern to reproduce.

Crazydave

Believe it or not, inside the retainer shaft there was a piece of waxy cardboard. It slid down right to the those oil rings. Factory piece to help retain the trans oil? Frank took a picture I don't have one, maybe he will post it. So the rest of the piece got machined, with the little relief for the oil to splash into the dome. I ended up adjusting the final fit by removing material on the outside edge for clearance with a sand wheel on a disc grinder.

Crazydave

Remember this? I pulled the axle out with one yank hand, using only my hand.

Crazydave

The outer bearing cup was beat up pretty bad. No trace of a roller. Had I chose to try and drive this car without addressing this, the axle would have likely walked right out, leaving me a 3 wheeler.

frankp

Here's the waxy cardboard.  Thanks for reminding me of the picture.  Anyone find it in a drawing or the parts list?

frank p

Crazydave

Thanks Frank. It seems to fit a little too perfect for someone to just find a random cardboard tube, and slide it on the input shaft. I put it back on  ;)

Crazydave

So at this point I have the axle and all the bearing components taken out. It had two shims in there, but I can't see how they make much difference. I don't know how or what the correct procedure and tool you are suppose to use to get that inside tapered bearing (race?) back in the axle tube. I suppose you need a piece of pipe exactly the inside diameter of the axle tube, to ensure you are pounding it in evenly. I cut a piece of wood and made it work.

Now to find bearings. I was told about this place by a friend. He and his dad restored a few antique tractors, and when ever they couldn't get a replacement seal or bearing they went here.
http://www.cutter-sales.com       They can pretty much get anything, if its available. By cross reference or by measuring. They can also get any of the old seals, felt replacement etc. I had new bearings within 48 hours.

Doesn't this look better?

Crazydave

This pretty much sums up the battle to get her reliable and driving around for the show last August. Still rolling on old rubber, which quickly started to disintegrate as a few miles where logged. A quickly rerouted fuel system with an internally regulated electric fuel pump in place of the vacuum canister. I think this is going to stay, as I doubt I will find a tank in good shape anytime soon. They also have reliability issues so I want to plumb right through it to make it look original, but have the more reliable fuel pump hidden down in the frame rail. A few more pictures from last fall.

Out at the farm, driving on period current roads  ;D

Tucked in for the winter with a new room mate. 47 Minneapolis Moline RTU