• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Dave's 1929 U Resto project

Started by Crazydave, November 04, 2013, 02:42:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug

Your car looks great. My car was a Survivor like yours. The previous owner painted and upholstered it. I have pictures of it before. On your fuel pump, Someone had changed mine to a Stewart fuel feed. The last owner took it off in favor of an electric. I have changed it back. Stewart pumps show up on Ebay often. Your carburetor will like the gravity fuel feed better than electric. Keep up the good work.   

Crazydave

Quote from: Doug on February 15, 2015, 02:24:17 PM
Your car looks great. My car was a Survivor like yours. The previous owner painted and upholstered it. I have pictures of it before. On your fuel pump, Someone had changed mine to a Stewart fuel feed. The last owner took it off in favor of an electric. I have changed it back. Stewart pumps show up on Ebay often. Your carburetor will like the gravity fuel feed better than electric. Keep up the good work.

Thanks, Doug. 

How does the car run different between the 2 fuel systems? I had some concern about pushing fuel to a gravity feed carb, thought it may push through the needle and seat. I was thinking of a way to plumb in a bypass and/or limit the flow with a needle valve (its internally regulated) to try and find the right pressure. (I know get a low pressure regulator) I tried it just the way it came and haven't had any troubles. I mounted it in the passenger side frame rail, near the outlet of the tank with a filter on the inlet. I will post the description from the ebay ad below. Any thoughts on other converted cars about what the proper pressure is or negative effects of running an electric pump? It is 6 volt.

"This In-line electric fuel pumps provide the needed amount of fuel whenever the engine demands it. This pump has a shut off pressure of 2.5 to 4 PSI at no flow conditions and will deliver 40 GPH at wide open. Comes with 1/8" pipe fittings, and 2 nipples to connect the common 5/16 gas hose. Can be used on positive ground systems, as there is separate connections for both positive and negative."

racertb

Where'd all the distributor drive photos go?

racertb

^^^Disregard, they're on the other thread :)

Doug

Don't get me wrong here. Didn't say it would run better, Just that the carb would like it. Gravity feed is a constant smooth flow, Electric with a regulator will pulse. Carb is much easier to tune with gravity. I know a lot of guys go electric and make it work, I like the vacuum Tank. When you get it working there is no maintenance, no electric draw, just drive. My thoughts.   

Crazydave

I would like to keep it as original as possible, and I hope to find a Kingston vacuum canister some day. I was just wondering what differences you experienced. For now if/when I get it on the real road and not just playgrounds I feel a little better with some pressure and a filter with all the crud I know is in the tank. I have heard dirt, rust, sediment can stop the cans from functioning fairly quickly.

Doug

The PO of my car had it running on an electric pump with a two gallon gas can in the rear floor board. You didn't go far. The tank was solid, so I took it out and cleaned it. I have various ways of cleaning fuel tanks. He gave me a Stewart pump that had been in the car. I cleaned it up worked great. The owner before him had it running off the intake. If you look up Stewart Fuel Feed you can find out all about this. I kept trying to get it to run off the oil pump. Found a larger capacity Stewart pump on ebay at a good deal, Put it on kept fooling around with the pluming, It's not original, but it all works. Just have to rebuild my windshield wiper. It runs all day. When I was trying to get the electric pump to work I would get the pressure low enough to idle with out flooding then I wouldn't have enough to run down the road. I switched from an impulse pump to a vain pump that helped but I found the vacuum the way to go. Still have the vain pump under the car just in case. Haven't needed it in Years.   The Kingston pump is right for the car. Hard to find. Stewart pumps are period correct,    And you can fined them.   My car is not a show car I just have fun with it 

Crazydave

I flushed my tank the best I could (In a hurry) with compressed air and fresh gas. I haven't had any noticeable issues with the electric pump. It idles down real nice and I have had it around the block (maybe 35 mph) and across the field a few times. I play with the choke a little until its warmed up, then it seems good on the top and bottom. Considering I have put little effort into tuning and optimizing the timing. Its nice to have Franks to compare it to, his is setup correctly.     
Maybe I can get him to race me...  ::) ;D Do you think anyone would notice ? Or would they just honk and try to get around us lol

Crazydave

Goals for this year;

Get the car rewired and street legal.

Get new tires and safety check all the wheel bearings, hubs and spokes.

Get a new top, and all of the roof wood repaired.

Find and repair the source of my water leak.

Started tear down.

chetbrz

Hi Dave,

It looks like you are moving along.  Just a couple of questions about your project.

On the rewire are you going to use a premade harness and are you going to wire in turn signals? 
Is your restoration focused on originality or functionality and safety?

Hopefully I can finally start on my this summer.  I haven't decided yet where I am going to draw the line.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Crazydave

Well Chet, I haven't really thought out a long term plan. Just want to be able to run it on the road if I want. I was unaware that we can buy wiring harnesses for these cars. I was going to pull the wiring out and redo it section by section, but would be open to looking at a harness. Especially if it had all the connectors for lights, brake switch etc. Maybe well worth time savings. Got a link to a vendor?

I want to keep it as original as possible, I like it being a time capsule of sorts. Judging by the reactions I got at the show I went to (I understand I may receive a different reaction at a tractor show vs. a car show) people are drawn to car that looks like it has a story to tell. How can that thing be untouched for 85 years? (plus its a lot cheaper to leave it  :) )

I'll pass on the turn the signals for now, it would be different if I was planning on long road trips but I'm not. I would how ever like to be able to through the wife and kid in for a few short trips so I should consider replacing the windshield glass at a minimum.

chetbrz

Dave,

I think you have the right idea.  Looking at a factory fresh 1920's car is a curiosity but I must say that I am drawn to that beat up old survivor that shows real character.   You can almost picture all the hard times and years that the car and its owners have gone through.   My car on the other hand has been poorly restored many years ago and needs to be redone.   I will try to keep as much of it original and leave the old interior.  I guess once I get into it.., the work will decide where it needs to go.  Mechanical reliability is a must.

As far as the wiring harness goes I know somebody makes it and it has been discussed on this site so hopefully someone will chime in with the vender info.   

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

frankp

At least one source for a wiring harness plus other goodies

http://www.ynzyesterdaysparts.com/

I may take Dave up on that race this summer, IF my needed repairs get done.  (think a replacement gearshift assembly.  Mine has a lot of play compared to Dave's)  Better find a little used roads for these screamers!

All this talk has me wanting to get to work, but couldn't do much anyway.  Rehab is going well, but it takes time to get the bones healed, so say the Drs.

frank
frank p

Crazydave

Last weekend Frank and I peeled off some history. Behold an original 29 roof complete with chalk marks.

Over Spray

Chalk Marks

Look where the headliner is attached to the bows

Hitch Hiker Found

chetbrz

Thanks Dave,

These are great photos.  I need to completely restore my car's roof and I have very little left of the original wood.  Along with other threads showing similar information I think I will be ready to tackle this soon.  I hope I get the slope right.

Chet...