• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Dave's 1929 U Resto project

Started by Crazydave, November 04, 2013, 02:42:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

racertb

Awesome video!  Also looking forward to seeing more.

29plycoop

Great photos of your new distributor base. Can you find out what the centerline spacing between the distributor bore and drive gear that was used.  Thanks Rich
Plymouth and inovation go hand in hand.

Crazydave

Thanks for the comments guys

Rich is this what your asking for? Not a real scientific way of measuring but I don't have the right tools to do. So I tired to get center to center and its seems to be 3/4" inches. After I run this thing for more than a couple of minutes, I'll take it out and and apart and check for wear. I still have some fit issues to deal with as far as the bolt holes go.

Crazydave

There are a lot of discussions on getting the timing set on these old things. I thought of a little trick and maybe someone has said it or done it already on here and I missed it, but I'll repeat it anyway because it worked well. With the timing screw out we were measuring the piston position with a white brazing rod and a sharpie mark. Then to figure which stroke it is on, I grabbed the air hose and started filling the cylinder with air. Had air blowing out the starting cup and knew right where I was. Spun it to the correct position, dropped the shaft in, lined up number 1 and we were off to the races.

29plycoop

Dave - Thanks for the photo and dimension on your distributor base. I also re manufactured a base for my '29 and had to come up with that centerline figure. The spacing of the two gears is dependent on that dimension. As far as the mounting bolt spacing, mine was as follows; .343 dia Thru at 2.562 apart. From the bore one hole is spaced at 1.053 and the other way at 1.513.
As mentioned in a prior thread, the Q 1928 distributor gears run in the opposite direction of the 1929-1931. The gears are cut opposite and will not work in later distributors.
Good luck with your rebuild.  Rich

Crazydave

Thanks Rich I'll check the bolt spacing on that one (made 2) and see how close they are. The inside hole fits well, the outside binds as you tighten it up. Gear spacing seems to mesh well, but Ill check rubbing and wear after some run time. Same friend is in the process of making me a replacement pinion gear retainer. That should be easier to replicate.

Crazydave

When I got the car this was pulled out of the dash and in a box with other various parts. Original key would go in, but would not turn the tumbler. Got the car running with a different coil, but i want the original, so I tore it apart not knowing what the out come would be.

Crazydave

I was able to get it apart without much damage. I sanded and greased the pot metal where the disk turns, and also greased (dielectric or sli glide light weight stuff) where the tumbler assembly sits inside the pot metal. Its a little distorted and cracked so it was binding some.

Also polished up all the electrical contact points.

Got everything working nice and free on the bench, but putting it back together nice and tight is difficult, always fearing that metal base will shatter in my hands as I try and bend those tabs back down.

Crazydave

So I get this thing all back together and go to try it out, wiring power to the batt terminal and timer to the distributor.

Get nothing no spark. I'm already scheming how I can attach a rotary switch to the back of the keyed and pot metal part of the ignition to make it function and appear stock. So I hadn't quite given up yet and head out to the garage with my fluke meter and start prodding. On my good coil I get about 1.5 ohms across - to +. Try it on the original batt to timer its open regardless of key position. Then I tried it from the gas gauge terminal to timer and get 1.5 ohms with the key on and open with it off. Wired it up temporary in the car, using the GAS GAGE terminal instead of BATT, coil wire to ground and open the points and zap! have strong spark! Now I'm off to see if she'll run on it, and see if I have a working generator. 

SteveG

Dave,

Great find! I've never seen the switch/ coil combo.

My '22 has what looks like an original switch but is connected to a coil mounted thru the firewall.

Great posts. Keep 'em coming!

SteveG

29plycoop

Thanks for the internals to the ignition switch. Very interesting. That pot metal is a real pain on all parts made with it. I managed to get my switch to work with a file and dielectric grease but it is a little tight.

Crazydave

Dash is complete as it should be. Car runs with the original coil. Generator and ammeter have been wired back into the circuit and with a short test everything appears to be working, get a discharge when cranking and when the coil is keyed on. Also shows charging up to around 10,11 while revving. That is all the wiring I need to function for my goal of the Threshing show. All accessory's will remain out until rewired. 2 1/2 weeks remain!!

Crazydave

Found a new brake reservoir..........

I'll make it work..............

Crazydave

I brought them a box of rubble a week and a half ago, picked up these parts today.

Still using the original hardware

All parts where machined and sleeved with stainless. installation will start tomorrow...........

Crazydave

Well I'm getting closer. Brakes are in, but not juiced.  Remember reply #16 ? Well the driver side rear axle is out, and the outer bearing was gone. Not even a sign of a roller left in the tube. ( I suspect from a previous inspection by someone, scooped out the wreckage) This damaged the inside bearing cup, which I had to have pressed off anyway, to measure/identify the bearing for replacement. So I have ordered all new cups and bearings since it is apart.

I'll post modern part numbers, the shop and cost if you guys want. I hope to cross reference that felt axle oil seal. Passenger side looks like it leaks, will be a winter project.
So I'll scramble to get this rig rolling, play with it for 3 weeks and then rip it all down again lol At least its easy.........................

I intend to update with pictures, tools and techniques but it takes time to pull them off the phone, host them and post them. I see I have some broken links to fix on the previous page as well.