• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

gas gauge

Started by Rusty, March 20, 2010, 12:20:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rusty

I was working on my gas tank and since the gauge was not working, that seemed like a good place to start.  It is held on my the cap which is just screwed on, once this was off, there was two pieces of very crudely cut glass circles and then the gauge it self.  Very simple, just needed a cleaning to start working again.  My question is this, was there a glass covering the gauge?  If you reinstall with a glass covering, how do you not have the gauge itself not spin while tightening the outer cap.  With not a glass covering, you just hold the guage down with your finger to prevent it from spining.
rusty

chetbrz

Rusty,

The gauge assembly should some how be attached to the plate that the cover screws on to.  My gauge was completely gone and I replaced it with a modified repro Ford gauge.  The only original parts were the base plate and the cap. 

See link for details:

http://www.chetscoins.com/1929/Work_Files/GasTank.htm

Also,

Any pictures you could provide would be helpful. 

Tks,  Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Rusty

Here is the gauge in pieces.  I think if I use gasket cement to hold the gauge itself to the tank and once "set", then screw on the cap with a thick gasket as to allow the needle to move freely.
rusty

29UJohn

There were apparently two types of gas tank gagaes.  One like yours (and mine) has a long neck and a small cap.  I never had a glass on mine.  Not sure if that was the way it was originally, but it was kinda convienent, cause I could always check if it was stuck or not. 

The other sat closer to the tank and had a larger cap.  That one had a glass cover.
John
1929U 4 Dr

1929luv

Hope this helps this is what my gase tank had on it the gage was missing but it had these parts that the glass and cover screwed on and it had gasket in and under everything.  I think that mine would use a modern typr gage with manual reading any that what i have found to use.  I haft to adapt one.  Good luck Craig