• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Engine problem I need a rod

Started by Touring29, June 08, 2023, 05:45:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Touring29

You cannot view this attachment.
Well the old girl developed a knock. Upon dropping the pan I found part of a piston skirt in the sump. What I also found was on the same cylinder the safety wire holding the rod nuts had broken and the rod nuts were loose. One was loose enough I took it off with my fingers and the other had a little piece of wire still in it. When I took that out the nut wasn't much more than finger tight. My theory is that whoever put it together didn't torque that rod and it eventually sheered the wire letting one nut back off even more. The knock was the piston hitting the head. The rod runs very close to the piston skirts so it wacked the skirt breaking it.

The block is .060 and I have found a piston from Egge. What I need is a connecting rod that is babbitted .040. The one I have has one bolt that seems bent a little and some wear on the bearing from being ran loose. I might get away with using it but I am not very confident. I have another block that has freeze cracks that is also .060 over but it has inserted bearings and the crank is standard.

I am going to call a couple of places that rebabbitt rods tomorrow and see if they have anything or can repair the one I have.

Articifer Tom

Need the rod number to check what I have .

Touring29

The number on the side of the rod is 301-005-D-B14 I think the 301--005 is the number that matters as the rods out of both engines share this # The bearing measures 1.94 or so.
 You cannot view this attachment.

Articifer Tom

Touring29

Touring29

Update! I noticed the #3 rod had a #4 on the cap. I checked #4 and sure enough it had a #3 on the cap. It was still safety wired. I cut the wire off and the nuts on it were finger tight too. I pulled it out and switched the caps and they fit as they should. I looked at the #2 rod and it had a 1 on it. The #1 had a 2 on it. At least they had the right caps and were torqued.

I think whoever put it together had been getting into the moonshine. When they found that it locked up when they torqued the last two rods they just left them loose and wired them! From the carbon on the pistons and sludge in the pan its been quite a few miles that way. A modern engine would have spun the bearings and scarred up the crank in a few minutes if done that way!

I'm not sure yet how I am going to go about fixing it but I'll come up with something.