• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

1939 Plymouth

Started by SDGlenn, January 21, 2012, 01:53:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SDGlenn

I found this 39 Plymouth on E-bay, over by Milwaukee Wis. Needed something to work on this winter. lol I hope I don't have the problems Tony ended up with. This one has been in storage for 30+ years, so it has been at least that long since it has run. Someone had done a nice job on the upholstery, but really.... Black leatherete.
No rust or dings to speak of, I may just compound it and see what I come up with. Do all the mechanicals fist. lol and drive, drive, drive..... Tony, is this a "Ute" ?
SD Glenn
SDGlenn

chetbrz

Wow.., really nice car.  Great shape !!!!

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Im not too keen on the upholstery but it looks like its been there a while and I bet it would clean up nicely so I would just leave it. Really nice looking car
Jason Anderson

Tinkeys

Very nice car Glen !
I don't wish the issues I am having on my worst enemies . Not that I have any !

Bearings 46

I think the 39's have always been a bit under appreciated - this is a really nice looking find!

Tinkeys

Hi Glen !
          Your tow ute makes my tow ute look like a toy ! very nice just the same Like it alot.

Tinkeys

How is that nice 39 coming along ?.?
I think you are or will be on the road before my 34 !!

SDGlenn

Hi Tony, The 39 is Great. I have put 1200 miles on it since I bought it, drives and rides really nice.  I had all the fenders and bumpers off, to refit and put in new bead welting. Now I have it in the garage and am pulling all the sheet metal off again. I am pulling the engine, I want to go thru the engine with a fine tooth comb to make sure I can take it on long trips if I want. I will know by mid week what I need. lol Hope it doen't involve too much cost in parts.  The machine shop in town here has given me real reasonable price on boring, plaining, and grinding the crankshaft (if needed) The sheet metal will go to a professional restorer in town so he can work on it while I get the engine back together, when he is ready I will tow the body in to him. I think I will stay with  "Black" (maybe)
How you coming with the Dodge? Have you been driving?  Keep us updated?
Take care of you
SD Glenn
SDGlenn

Tinkeys

Almost have all new windows In , just got the 2 rear quarter windows to fit, Dodge pizza engine starts and runs in car now ,all drive train is finished,dash and wind out wind shield is finished wiring almost all done , need to finish out side door handles and chrome them, even installed a hidden modern radio CD player so I can rock and roll while working on the old girl , it's very. Close to going for a test drive that should be fun !!

Tinkeys

Hi SD Glen !!
how is the 39 going ? anything new ? my 34 is 98 % complete when its finished  may start back on 30U total restoration.

SDGlenn

Hi Tony, and all you great Plymouth fans. The 39 is doing great. I did clean up the interior and it is not bad. (Just Letherette) I did rebuild the engine completely, new pistons, etc, from Bernbaums. Runs and drives great, may take some trips this summer as well.  When I had the engine out I took it to the body shop, after setting there for 4 weeks I brought it home and re-assembled it so I could get some driving time on it. (The body shop just did not have time to do anything.) I did put quite a few miles on this summer, very few on the 29 coupe though. So the car looks like it did when I bought it. Maybe I should leave it that way. lol   The bodyman said to bring it back in mid February, I have to think about that. I have been working on a "bastard" lol mustang convertible this winter, a 1992 model, but nice. I am installing a new top right now.  I will get back to the Plymouth in the spring. It is winter time in SD, temps have been no higher than -5 degree F for the past week, lows about -17. I am looking for spring. lol  Maybe see you all in Arizona in April?
Take care guys,
SDGlenn
SDGlenn