• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Gear oil through high pressure gun

Started by imoore, January 09, 2013, 04:42:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imoore

Hi All,
I thought i would show you guys what i use to fill the axel bearing and steering box with oil through the grease nipple.
We have 2 of them which i thought were designed for grease.
So i have been trying to figure out a way to oil the rear axel bearings.
I then decided to pull one of these apart, remove all the grease and fill with oil and see what happens.
It forces oil through the fittings. Only problem with the one i used is a small capacity one, so it requires many pumps and many refills.

Ian

1928 Q tourer (Holden bodied)
Several vintage stationary engine

frankp

Very interesting, Ian.  What weight oil do you use?  I have always used grease in all areas with Alemite fittings and 85-140 gear lube in the transmission (gear box) and rear axle.

frank
frank p

imoore

Yeh it was a fluke i guess. I also use 85/140 in diff, gearbox and now steering box and rear axel bearings.
The tool works very well. Doesnt leak oil everywhere so thats a bonus.

Ian

Old Man

I'm not 110% sure what you're doing but if you're putting oil of any kind into the grease nipple that's on the rear of the differential axle housing flange,be careful. As far as I know it was to have a high fibre grease injected there. Oil will run through any gap in the bearing shield and onto the brakes if you're not careful. There is a seal behind the bearing to keep diff oil from getting to the bearing and moving outward to the brakes and you're defeating that. I think. Any other comments about what Ian's doing. Am I wrong? 

Tinkeys

Hi guys !
I have to say I agree with old man ! The seals in the outer rear axle would not completely seal oil from getting on to brakes . I have replaced axle bearings and seals in my 30u and greased rear axle bearings and had no problems at all and car has travelled around 1500 miles since . If you think about it front wheel bearings run for thousands of miles in grease so why not the rear ?
Cheers Tony.

imoore

I could be wrong but im just following what the 28 and 29 instruction book states. High grade FLUID gear lubricant. If this translates to grease then i shall do that.

Ian

Old Man

I do not have my manuals for my '29 anymore so I'm going by memory and experience. Later Plymouths and Dodges at that point it says "REAR AXLE SHAFT (WHEEL) BEARINGS ,Short fibre wheel bearing grease-Medium Lubricant Nipple".
   Our modern garage tools have overtaken the old hand tools such as this lube gun in these photos. You can now buy a grease gun that is powered by your air compressor. I've known someone to put a modern air compressor powered grease gun on these rear bearing nipples and fire away, only to force the bearing shields off their seats and 'lube' the rear brake shoes. Quite a mess to clean up. So that's why I question any liquid in those nipples. It could trickle outward and get on the shoes. There is nothing to stop it except the bearing outer shields and I don't believe they are 'waterproof',read liquid proof.   

imoore

i agree with not using a air or electric operated grease gun cause you would blow the seal out. but all this does is puts enough pressure behind the oil to allow it into a (grease) fitting. U wouldn't fill it up full of oil, but put enough in it for the bearing to have an oil bath to run in. i cant see putting grease through the fitting would work. As bearings require packing of grease first before fitting. By putting new grease through the fitting would not caused the bearing to get lubricated, whereas oil would.

I have just done 350km over this weekend with oil in the axle bearings and have not noticed any oil spray marks.

The manual states to use gear oil in the steering linkages and spring shackles as well, which i use grease in.

Tinkeys

I guess that if it doesnt hurt try it ! worst that can happen clean up off all the parts !!!

imoore

Yeh thats what i was thinking. I like trying different things and i learn by trial and error. I guess it also comes down to what work best to you. I have done many jobs using methods you wouldn't find in any manual and have achieved the same result.

I didn't think it would have started a who right n wrong. But thought people might be interested in the tool.

Ian   

chetbrz

Quote from: imoore on January 16, 2013, 05:12:31 AM

I didn't think it would have started a who right n wrong. But thought people might be interested in the tool.

Ian   

Hi Ian,

Just a comment.., Written words on these forums lack the voice inflection and body language that comes with face to face communication.   On boards like this most people write the way they speak.  Without the visible smile and the demeanor of a friendly gesture, written words can be easily misunderstood.    Years back when we moved to Virginia my daughter thought she would keep in touch with her friends in NYC via email.  Within 24 hours they were all mad at each other.

Personally I thought it was a very interesting tool and discussion. 

Thanks for posting, Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Old Man

I agree with Chet. For some reason ANY disagreement can turn ugly and does. I've seen it several times and I was perplexed to understand where the thread had gone sour. I'm under the impression that these sites are for help on repair and restoration and also just a discussion of something like this tool. (I have one of these by the way in my 'collectables'.) And as Chet says we should all read these posts 'flat'. Or read them as if some friend you know were standing beside your car giving you some friendly well meaning advice. I don't like putting in smiley faces as I think it's a bit silly for these technical discussions.     
  And on that note......
    I looked through my stock of parts and came across an 80 year old box of rear axle gaskets and grease retainers. The label says that these are 'grease retainers' not 'oil retainers'. I'm not sure what would have gone in that cavity originally in '29 but I wonder if maybe it was NOT a liquid per se. Cars by 1933,which came out in the fall of 1932, were putting grease in that cavity to lube the rear outer bearing cluster. Did Chrylser make a mistake and stop using the specified oil and turn to grease?
  There are 2 roller bearing in there,back to back,in '29s as well I believe. I put a moly based high temperature non-melt grease in there and have had no problem with leakage.