• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

2 Blade or 4 blade fan 30U What is correct from Factory ?

Started by Tinkeys, February 20, 2011, 05:41:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tinkeys

Hi All !
        I read that 30U should have 2 blade fan my car has a 4 blade , I'd rather 4 But dont know if this is original and I'm shore a 4 blade will put more wear on water pump impellor,any Idea's ?

Rusty

My 29 had a orginial 2 blade but due to constant overheating (which was later found due to bad rad core) I put a 4 blade on.  If the belt is not overtighten, I would say it would not cause any extra wear on the fan bearing.  It does move much more air (4 vs 2 blade).  I have left my 4 blade one as very few people (if anybody)  know that it is not orginial.  The problem is you know and everytime you look under the hood, you will always see that non-orginial fan blade.
rusty

SDGlenn

Hi, sounds like this is a Thermo siphoning system versus a waterpump system. The 29 uses a 2 blade fan and is thermo siphon, I don't think you would have a bearing problem with a waterpump anyhow, (with the 4 blades).
The 30 model must be a waterpump system?? Someone with the 30 model may have the correct answer for this one.
SD Glenn
SDGlenn

Rusty

I am wrong.  My 29 has no waterpump.  The fan bolts to the generator.  The snow must be making my mine numb.
rusty

Tinkeys

One of our Vintage car members told me that the impeller is what stops fan going forward and will slowly wear down impeller ! He also said that he believes it should have oil caps instead of grease nipples because underneath rear bush there is a small reservoir with a wick that goes into it . It does make sense although I have not seen the inside as yet !!!

chetbrz

Here are pictures of a New Style 30U engine I picked up last year.  It was rebuilt as a spare for a PA.  It does have a 4 blade fan probably because the radiator real-estate started shrinking as the years moved forward.

Sorry, the motor is in Delaware and I am in Virginia so I can't verify the grease fittings vs. oil caps.  Personally I wouldn't be surprised seeing oil caps especially on the shaft bracket.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member