• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Introduction

Started by SDGlenn, January 03, 2011, 02:51:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SDGlenn

Howdy all, I am extremely new to this site and also to the restoration of the older plymouths.  I have been enjoying all the past posts to this site, and have learned a lot about the project I have taken on. Surprising, the car I got hold of had a prior restoration (not a frame off) about 20 years ago and stored in a barn, from that point till the previous owner died and his family sold his collection. Bought as a 1928 model, the title is a 1928 model, however, according to Jim and all I have read in the posts here and POC posts, I believe it must be a 1929 model Plymouth Business Coupe. This car is in pretty good shape, except for minor normal maintenance items, Brakes, Seals, Brgs, Carberation, Distributor, etc. Just items that deteriorate from setting still for so long. Plus pulling the Oil pan, transmission, stearing sector, rear diferential, etc just to make sure there was no problems there. I believe I am ready for the paint.... Thanks for the great site, and the help you guys have given me.  After seeing all your pictures of those beautiful cars I am ashamed to picture mine here, until I get it painted. I see there is another "Glenn" on this site from down under, so I will sign off as "The other Glenn" from South Dakota, so you can diference between us.
Thanks again
The Other Glenn.
SDGlenn

chetbrz

Hay Glenn,

With impeccably restored vehicles it is hard to tell what was original and what was a cleaver fabrication.  I personally enjoy the battle scares of an old car.   When I finally retire and redo my 29, which by the way was also registered as a 28, I will retain my original ratty leatherette interior.  It may not even be original but it is very, very old and really gives you a feel for the age of this survivor.   I see a lot of beautiful Modal A Fords that look like they just rolled off the assembly line.  Probably only 40% of the car was manufactured before 1980, if that much.

Don't worry about the car fanatics..,  it's the smile you put on a kids face when you drive by and hit the Arrrr..oga horn, that's better then first place at the car show trailer park.

Keep it running and drive it often,  Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

SDGlenn

Hi Chet, I know what you mean, while towing this car home (about 150 miles) every rest stop or gas stop people would want to take pictures of the car and talk about it. Most didn't know it was a Plymouth and were surprised at one in this shape being 80 something years old. lol  Hope I look this good when I get there.....
SDGlenn

Rusty

Rusty

Where in south dakota?  I live on the eastern side of the state, right near warm Minn.
rusty

SDGlenn

Hi Rusty, Looks like we are in the same area. Watertown is where I'm at. And you...
Maybe we could have coffee one day and visit about these "ol Beaters"

Glenn
SDGlenn

Rusty

I live about 3 miles outside of watertown.  Small world. 
rusty

SDGlenn

Hi Rusty,
I am on Marina Bay on Kampeska, 1380 S. Lake Dr.  Stop some day for a cup of joe... What do you have for a Car? 882-0571
Glenn
SDGlenn

Rusty

I have a 4 door sudan that was repainted 20 years ago but was never mechanically redone.  I have redone all of that and did not get to drive it much last summer due to radiator problems.  I plan on using this comming summer much more.  I do have some tools for it that I have collected such as hub puller for the rear wheels and tire changer is you need to borrow them. 
rusty

SDGlenn

Hey Rusty,
I didn't know a person needed a tire changer to change tires on these cars. I got new tires but have not tryed to install them yet, I'm waiting until I get it painted. The wheel puller is moot point for me right now. Trial and error was my solution to getting the rear wheels off..  I tryed everything I could think of, even broke a couple pullers bolts, then I got smart... you know Mike Webb? I called him and he told me how to get them off, about 15 minutes later I had both rear wheels off. Pays to know the right people.. lol anyhow, I finished the brake and rear end work,  Thanks for the offer.
Glenn
SDGlenn

Rusty

You need one of these for tire installation on the rim.  There is a few discussion on this board on how to use one, I never have.
rusty