• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Issuses regarding cylinder head 1929U

Started by jjohn, October 18, 2012, 03:23:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjohn

Hi
1. The small hole in one cylinder, what is that?
2. The cooling hole in the middle of the cylinder hole is not open but int he gasket?
3. The small washer  (several) outside the cylinderr head, what is that?

Marking:
Silver Dome
12-19
301074-2
NH

//jonas

frankp

Jonas,
1.  When the screw is removed, this allows finding top dead center of piston No. 4.
2&3  I'm sorry, I don't know, but someone will.
frank
frank p

Doug

Like frankp says, #4 cylinder you take the plug out put a stiff wire through the hole and find TDC

Old Man

The small 'washer' on the outside of the head is part of the casting markings. It would mean something to the casting people then but actual meanings are lost to history. Some of the later casting markings will be a 'clock' which was set by the crew on that particular shift to show when the casting has been made. In case those castings had to be scapped and remelted. Ususally because of air holes. This went for all castings,transmission housings,bell housings,rear ends. All have castings markings of some sort on them for the quality control people. When were they made,who gets blamed,that sort of thing.     

jjohn

Thanks for good  information.
What do you think of the cooling hole that is not open in the cylinder head?

Old Man

Don't know. I knew about the timing hole. Chrysler carried it through to their 6 cylinders. It's on #6 cylinder and ,as frank and jonas say, it is used to find TDC on the 6s. The blind hole could be a mistake. But as you say it's in the gasket. Automotive manufacturers in those days didn't throw anything away if they couild help it. For instance there are '29 and '30 Plymouths around using rear tubs from the preceding years. The rear windows are different. Late '30 Plymouths can have the rear tub from the later '31 PA with the PA rear window. I've seen a 30U Plymouth with a '29 U thin ribbon rad shell but the car is an original. It always been assumed Chrysler used up a rad shell or two from '29 on the early 30Us. They would have to have used the hood too I guess. The car also does not have the 30U style hanging vibrator horn on the front headlight bar. It has a '28/'29 motor driven Klaxon inside the engine compartment. (BTW for anybody who wonders where the company word 'Klaxon' comes from it's French for 'horn'.) The blind hole in the head is curious though. Possibly meant for another car. Maybe the Maxwell that all the 4s came from?