• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Where can I find a new pinion seal?

Started by 29 doUg, November 03, 2008, 02:46:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

p4jim

DoUg I got one from antique auto car cellar and an original from ebay.  regards, jim

29UJohn

I also bought one from the Antique auto cellar.  These are new seals.  But be sure and measure the shaft diameter first, as some early 28Q and 29Us had odd sizes, as I found out.  Not a problem for Tom Hannaford though, he can provide them in any of the various sizes.  You may also need to sleeve you old spider shaft (where the seal rides).  Tom can provide those too.
John
1929U 4 Dr

29 doUg

Thank guys! I was able to get a suitable replacement at O'Reillys Auto Parts in less than two hours for $15! Whatta deal. Not exact, but sealed nicely, no leaking (National Federal-Mogul #473440 size 1.5 x 2.75 x .312). I can see why the shaft might need to be sleeved, strange how leather could wear down metal like that. Worst part of the job was cleaning all the gear lube that sprayed all over the undercarriage from the old leaing seal.

Satillite70

Thanks for the info guys, I need one also.
...my floor has a line of black crustation across the bottom!

Chris Osborne
Saint John, NB
Canada

mopardave

I got mine through NAPA about three years ago.  No problem at all getting one.
All Plymouths: 1928 Q; 1951 P-23; 1966 Sport Fury Convertible; 1975 (Space) Duster; 1999 Prowler

29 doUg

I thought NAPA could help, but just like every other place, it REALLY depends on who is behind the counter. Some kid who had never even heard of a friggin' VALIANT was "working".

Now, I dont fault people who dont know or are just starting out or are at least TRYING and when I was a counterman at the Chrysler/Plymouth store last century, I sure didnt know it all. BUT, if I had no idea about something, I FOUND a co-worker who DID! I get frustrated with this new generation of counter "help" who cant even tell you which shelf the Sea-Foam is on!

BTW-- The pumpkin has developed a very small and slow leak, about the size of nickel after a week. But thats only because I didnt use a gasket on the cover, just a nice 1/8" bead of the copper-colored RTV around the perimeter. My bad.