• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

1934 dodge

Started by Tinkeys, December 27, 2011, 04:40:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tinkeys

Hi all !!
Returned home last weekend from Club meet in Nunnawading , when i returned home noticed a slight grumbling sound, on further investigation and removal of gearbox ! found that front input shaft needle rollers are on there way out , they certainly did not last long under 600 miles in fact, going to have main shaft and input shaft modified to take torrington caged rollers they are supposed to be more durable. Fingers crossed !!
May even take this opertunity to look into a overdrive !
Cheers Tony.

chetbrz

Tony,

I don't have any practical experience with Dodge.  Did the transmission have the proper level of gear oil ?  With the Plymouth when running the gears get surrounded by oil which is naturally pushed toward the front of the transmission housing.  This stream of oil is pushed into the front bearing housing.   If there was something preventing the lubrication of the bearing I could understand the quick bearing failure.   Something to think about when fixing the transmission.  I wouldn't suspect the bearing but the source of the lubrication..

My two cents,  Chet...

PS sounds like a great trip. 
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Tinkeys

Hi Chet!
          First thing I did was check oil level and was full , on closer inspection found that ends of needle rollers had been grinding them self at mainly one end  possible one cause is that wrong type of needle rollers used,
The ones causing problems are squared ends instead of rounded ends !
Just waiting on machine shop to do there machining so I can use caged rollers .
Cheers Tony

chetbrz

Sounds good to me...

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Tinkeys

First lot of rollers fixed now waiting on 2nd lot for free Wheel drum ! May as well do them all while it's apart
Do once do it right , it's been out of action for almost 4 weeks it's like forever !
Cheers Tony

Tinkeys

The old girl is back on the road with a spare parts Gearbox made from 2 boxs the original is still at machine shop ,and I hade to get it back on the road for a Chrysler show here in Melbourne last weekend and all went well !

chetbrz

Tony,

The car looks Great!  I have always like early and mid-thirties cars.  Glad you made the Chrysler show in Melbourne.  Any pictures ?

Chet...

SDGlenn

Its loking great Tony.  You are a very handy gent with tools. Congrates
SDglenn
SDGlenn

Tinkeys

Sorry for taking so long been busy in garage working on Dodge still heaps to finish the old girl !!
Here are some pics at Chrysler show !

Tinkeys

Tinkeys

more pics !
And spare gearbox is hanging on  going great original is still at machine shop ! just as well I wasnt holding my breath !

Tinkeys

I know its been a while !
just fitted new running board rubber R/hand side approx 5 hours  looks neat ,
also got my brother in law to have a go at painting pinstipe on a wheel , what do you think ?

Manuel

They both look good!!

Manuel in Oz

chetbrz

Nice job on the running boards.  Reading posts like this makes me want to get started on my 29.  Unfortunately I still have not completely finished my 48.  The bonus room construction over the garage and a half dozen other miscellaneous projects.   Then there are my daughters projects.

Someday soon,   Chet...

Tinkeys

Yes Chet !
I know what u mean u can only do the important ones first . I am also started on fitting and chopping a Holden ute towbar to fit on 34 dodge chassis mounted with removable tow hitch , will post pics  later !