• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

'29 Plymouth Depress Beam Headlight Connector

Started by 29plycoop, January 23, 2020, 01:48:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

29plycoop

can someone supply a photo or the harness connector that plugs the harness into the bucket on Depress Beam system? I have the three wire plug on the end of the harness (see photo below) but need two of the connectors to orient the three wires into the bucket. I don't know what they look like. Tried to find a supplier to purchase them with no luck. The connector coming out of the bucket is made to receive two pins like a lightbulb. http://www.1948plymouth.info/28Q29U/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=959.0;attach=3576;image for any help Rich
Plymouth and inovation go hand in hand.

chetbrz

Rich,

Is this what you are looking for:

See attached PDF

These are Model A Ford parts. 
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Articifer Tom

The Filling station offers these parts for Chevy twilight depress headlight same as Dodge / Mopar .

29plycoop

Thanks for the reply. I did see that these were available. The connectors I am looking for are the ones that plug into the connector you show that comes down out of the headlight bucket. The one in your photo in the upper right corner. I was hoping for a photo of the connection of the harness into the headlight bucket. Not sure what that connection looks like unplugged.  Thanks Rich

Russ T. Fender

chetbrz

Quote from: 29plycoop on January 23, 2020, 10:58:26 PM
Thanks for the reply. I did see that these were available. The connectors I am looking for are the ones that plug into the connector you show that comes down out of the headlight bucket.  Thanks Rich

Rich,

My car came missing most everything in the headlamp buckets.  I believe if you use the Model A parts you need to also use the Model A stainless conduit to connect to the headlamp bucket.  Please Note I have yet to get into this area.  So nothing I am telling you is confirmed.  I believe the picture that Russ posted is the Plymouth plug and the post from Tom can get you to the proper spacer connector but here again not 100%.

Review the PDF for how this stuff goes together. 

I think when I fixed my headlights back in August of 2010 I hardwired the connection point. 
Below is the old post for the lamp repair in 2010.

http://www.1948plymouth.info/1929/Work_files/2010-13/08152010.htm

I will be getting to this soon so anything you find out will be much appreciated.   

PS...  If your car is anything like mine you should have three connections.  High Beam, Low Beam & Parking lamp.  Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

29plycoop

Russ T Fender !! That is the connector view that I needed. The black three wire plug is orianted into the metal sleeve that is in your photo by the narrow slot down the outside of it. The metal sleeve connector with the the black three wire plug inserted pushes into the Depress Beam bucket and twist locks in place with the two pins on the outside diameter. Thank you for the photo. Now it all comes together.
Just to explain a little. My 29 Ply has been disassembled this past year to get ready to paint. The headlights and mounting bar were stored in a safe place. I went to retrieve then to work on and they are no where to be found. SO!!- I have found a replacement mounting bar on EBay and a set of headlights but they are not as good condition.  Anyway the reason I didn't have any thing to go by on the wiring. The buckets are a little rough but they did have both the bulb connectors in each one. I had to rewire them but needed the photo you furnished to see the sleeve they need.
If anyone has a couple of the sleeves to sell or know of a supplier To buy them please send details.
Thanks again Rich

Russ T. Fender

Glad it was of some help.  Unfortunately I don't have any spares and the ones I have are questionable at best. I am also in the midst of a long restoration and know where you are coming from.  I have not been able to find replacements either.  Good luck!

29plycoop

Now that I had a headlight connector photo to refer to, went digging in the box of leftover wiring harness wires and came up with a version of the retainer that was on my car. (See photo). A little different on the end but looks like either version would work. At least down to one more connector retainer to find. Thanks all, Happy Motoring - Rich

Russ T. Fender

Rich, your connector is the style connector on my 30-U.  The one in my picture was from a spare headlamp I had but it was on a Plymouth headlamp.

29plycoop

Just a thought. The connector retainer you show is reduced in diameter on one end maybe to accept some decorative flexible metal tube. What do you think? - Rich

Russ T. Fender

That is possible.  Chevy and Ford both had that and also had 3 contact plug connectors on cars without side lights.  The Filling Station carries 3 prong insulators but not the outside casing that you need to line up the contacts correctly.

Articifer Tom

The outer part is on the metal clad flex headlight loom . Has a little turn in to catch loom .

29plycoop

I think I may have found some connector retainers we have been discussing. Just found and ordered them today. Won't know for sure until they get here but they look like they will work. If so there will be a few spares if anyone is in need. (at cost only plus a little shipping to members on this forum) see photo. - Rich

chetbrz

Quote from: 29plycoop on January 26, 2020, 04:44:48 PM
I think I may have found some connector retainers we have been discussing. Just found and ordered them today. Won't know for sure until they get here but they look like they will work. If so there will be a few spares if anyone is in need. (at cost only plus a little shipping to members on this forum) see photo. - Rich

Rich, 

I could use one. I am pretty sure I have the other.

Thanks Chet