• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

engine disassembly

Started by Rusty, December 01, 2009, 06:31:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rusty

What I have learned.  The nut needs to be removed before the crank pully can be removed.  There is a flat washer that has a lip bend over one of the flat side of the hex nut.  It helps to have this lip "fixed" before removing the nut.  A 2 7/8 inch socket with a cordless implact works nice and then a standard puller.

The timing cover can not be removed untill the oil pan is removed.

The copper oil pickup line that goes from the pick up thru the block then to the oil pump can be bend very easy and then a real pain to remove.  The brass fittings really do need a flare nut wrench to remove.

The exhaust manifold needs a lot of oil to remove if rusted to the studs.  That is going to be problem.  

The angle mount for the distribitor is very fragile and does not need to be hit with a hammer to remove.  I got lucky and did not break it but came very close.  It took a week of soaking in the parts cleaner until in would spin freely.  

The timing gear on the cam is fiber.  Is this orginial?  I removed the nut but can not seem to be able to pull the  gear off.  Does the steel gear on the crank need to be pulled first?
rusty
I

I

1929luv

Rusty
  Does it need a new gear if not leave it on there unless you will need to grind the cam.  And the cam should pull out of engine after removing the two bolts. behind gear.  Do not remove steel  off crank unless you are going to haft to grind the crank true but it should come off with puller if needed. 

Good luck Craig

Rusty

I got the pistons out.  There is no ridge on the top of the cylinder so I wonder if it has been over bored.  I can not get one of the exhaust manifolds stud loose so the exhaust is still mounted firmly to the block.  I will let the machine shop deal with that one.  Heavy heavy sludge around the valves and lifters.  I will bet I will need to remove the cam but still can not get the gear off, another problem for the machine shop. The bears did not look that bad but there is ridge on the crank for the rods and mains so it will need to be turned.   A local guy will rebabbit rod ands mains so that is nice to have local.  rusty