• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

30U rear main oil seal

Started by p4jim, February 18, 2008, 11:18:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

p4jim

Can the rear main oil seal be replaced with engine in car?  If so is it worth doing?
i just replaced the pinion seal and found the transmission needs a seal so why not go on to the engine.
Thanks for the past and future help.  Jim

chetbrz

Jim,

Here is a link to Tod Fitch's Site - Plymouth's - The First Decade  with Info on the rear seal in the 29-U Plymouth:  If your 30 U has the 196 engine then this may or may not apply.   The master gasket kit is for both engines the 175 & 196 with minor differences in some gaskets so maybe this info might be applicable.  I am not sure.

http://www.ply33.com/Repair/rearseal

I hope this helps, Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

p4jim

thanks Chet, I'll take a look at Tod's site.  Years ago my brother replaced a rear seal unsuccessfully and I spoke with a auto mechanic recently that doubted it would be a good idea.  Since I don't know the condition of the engine I'm tending towards waiting, there may be more to do anyway.   By the way, I've been following your running board progress and I think the idea is to enjoy the machine.  My 30u will have a ford right side tail liight until I come across a plymouth light.  They look very similar and I'm a real believer in signal lights.  Thanks for the great site.  Jim, 

chetbrz

Jim,

If you don't see any telltale sign of leaking by the main bearing it is probably best to let it be.   I changed the main in my 48 with the motor in the car and it was a real pain to do.

See link...  http://www.chetscoins.com/1948p15/20045/04032005.htm

Flashers are a good thing to have.  I have noticed with the 29 that people are always trying to sneak around me while out in normal traffic.   Here in Northern Virginia speed limits are casual suggestions so I guess I am not going fast enough for the average VA driver.  Also the rear vision in the 29 Sedan is poor at best with many blind spots. 

I installed flashers in my car by using the front parking light bulbs as front flashers and installed a removable setup on the rear bumper.  Basically I created a trailer connection under the car where I could plug in my rear lights.  I used two standard round trailer lights and affixed them to the rear bumper using an aluminum back plate and wing nuts.   Of course 6 vdc bulbs.  They actually look fine and are very functional.  The point being is that I didn't have to modify the car and if you wish.., everything can be quickly removed for a car show and quickly reinstalled for the drive home.

I too thought about adding the extra tail light then decided on the above method.  I will try to find a picture and post it for you. 

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

29UJohn

Regarding the rear main seal - I agree - if it's not leaking much, leave it alone.  I have replaced the "new" type split steel/neoprene rear seal on my 29U without removing the engine.  I removed the Xsmsn and flywheel, then dropped the pan and removed the rear main bearing cap.  Then loosen the center and front bearing cap a little so the crank will drop just enough so you can remove and replace the top half of the rear main seal. Trick is to install both halves before the main cap is replaced.  I also recommend cleaing the surfaces good and putting some Permatex 300 or Aviation gasket seal between the seal and the block/cap.

If you have the original type rope seal, I do not have experience replacing those, but I am told they too can be done without removing the engine.

I would not install the new split type on 28Q, 29U or 30U unless the opening has been enlarged to fit by a machince shop (requires engine removal)- otherwise it will leak.
John
1929U 4 Dr

p4jim

Thanks Chet and John.  Its not too far from running again and then we shall see what the rear main is doing or not.  I replaced the rear seals and the transmission seal and the wiring harness is about finished.  I'd sure like to drive it for a while now.

regards. jim